Old October 6th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Foxhunting controller/transmitter

Anyone got pointers to a good *and* inexpensive 2m FM foxhunting xmtr
with integrated controller? Ramsey used to make just exactly what I
want, and so (of course) they've discontinued it.

I'd like it to do a (programmable) CW ID, with a programmable delay
from a minute or so up to 30 minutes, in roughly 1-minute steps. Xtal
control is OK, but a good, stable VFO (DDS or DDS + PLL, rather than
PLL alone) would be better. Settable power level would be good, too,
and I can do with max power about 1 W.

Thanks and 73, de

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin
Old October 6th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In absence of dedicated controller, you could use one of the memory keyers,
AEA comes to mind. They have beacon mode, where you can program message and
set the repetition time.

73

Old October 6th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:35:30 -0400, Yuri Blanarovich wrote in :
In absence of dedicated controller, you could use one of the memory keyers,
AEA comes to mind. They have beacon mode, where you can program message and
set the repetition time.

73

"Mike Andrews" wrote in message
Anyone got pointers to a good *and* inexpensive 2m FM foxhunting xmtr
with integrated controller? Ramsey used to make just exactly what I
want, and so (of course) they've discontinued it.

I'd like it to do a (programmable) CW ID, with a programmable delay
from a minute or so up to 30 minutes, in roughly 1-minute steps. Xtal
control is OK, but a good, stable VFO (DDS or DDS + PLL, rather than
PLL alone) would be better. Settable power level would be good, too,
and I can do with max power about 1 W.

Thanks, Yuri. If nothing else comes up, I may go to that, or roll my
own.

I'm looking for something that doesn't involve using an HT. I'd lots
rather use the HT on the fox hunt, and not risk having it stolen.
Losing a transmitter/controller would chap me considerably, but losing
my HT would be _bad_.

If I wind up doing the full-tilt-boogie 5-transmitter foxhunt, I'd
really prefer not to buy 4 more HTs, for that matter. 5 ammo cans,
each with a transmitter/controller and a battery inside and a BNC or
SMA jack through the lid, would be a lot more affordable.

73, de

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin
Old October 6th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Mike Andrews wrote:
I'm looking for something that doesn't involve using an HT. I'd lots
rather use the HT on the fox hunt, and not risk having it stolen.
Losing a transmitter/controller would chap me considerably, but losing
my HT would be _bad_.

I would think you could get *used* HTs pretty cheap.

For that service, you don't need fancy scanning features etc. --
something like an old IC-2AT would do fine - and since you're going to
need to power the keyer anyway you don't really need a workable battery
with the HT.

I would think you could find something useful for less than the cost of
a new transmitter kit or the parts to build one.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old October 6th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Mike Andrews wrote:

Anyone got pointers to a good *and* inexpensive 2m FM foxhunting xmtr
with integrated controller? Ramsey used to make just exactly what I
want, and so (of course) they've discontinued it.

I'd like it to do a (programmable) CW ID, with a programmable delay
from a minute or so up to 30 minutes, in roughly 1-minute steps. Xtal
control is OK, but a good, stable VFO (DDS or DDS + PLL, rather than
PLL alone) would be better. Settable power level would be good, too,
and I can do with max power about 1 W.

Thanks and 73, de

Do a web search for the "Montreal Fox". I've built one that works OK.
The circuit board that's available is quite rough, but the thing is
buildable.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Foxhunting Fun Tim Wescott Homebrew 0 December 28th 04 12:39 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1393 ­ April 23, 2004 Steve Clemente Radionews CB 0 April 23rd 04 08:15 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1393 ­ April 23, 2004 Steve Clemente Radionews Shortwave 0 April 23rd 04 08:15 PM