Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 24th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

Default Ferrite antenna com system

Hello all -

I built a simple ferrite antenna communication system. Unfortunately it
won't work if I set the sender more distanced than about a meter. That is
even true with different transmitter configurations.

Here the details:
Transmitter:
ferrite antenna: diameter 8mm , 50mm long
frequency is 77.5KHz, digital modulation is AM 25%
bit-rate is 1 bit/sec (0 is 100ms carrier 25%, 1 is 200ms carrier 25%)
insulated copper wire coil 10 turns

The transmitter is self-constructed and delivers a very good signal.

Receiver:
same antenna copied, but a built-in resonating capacitor.
ready-to-use WWVB 77.5KHz receiver. Demodulated signal goes to scope.

The transmission works over about one meter without any shortage.

Now the problem is that I can change the transmitter parameters but I cannot
reach a substancial greater distance. I changed:
- the coil wound times
- output current to the antenna (measured across a series resistor)
- added an antenna current sensor coil to sense the antenna current and to
see if the ferrite antenna saturizes (NO! Very clean sinusoid)

Googling around to find theoretical aspects of ferrite antenne got no good
results. I spent several hours and read all I can read.

Have someone suggestions to try or good links to read? Especially for:
- when a ferrite or iron powder rod/bar goes in saturation?
- optimal rod dimensions
- optimal coil design (I suggest single layer, resonating with good Q
capacitor, about 3 to 10 turns)
- LNA design for such a low frequency?
- antenna field theory in near-field.

If you need further details please ask.