Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 20th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.audio.pro

Default HP 3582A ?

someone wrote:
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in
m:

I'm not certain to which group I should post this question, so I'm
shot gunning hoping to find it. If anyone can point me, please do.
However.... Has anyone used the HP 3582A audio spectrum analyzer to
plot the freq response of audio devices like mikes, speakers, etc.
Knowing the mike response I'd like to see the spectrum of plucked
guitar strings and their harmonics and see how different manufacturers
sound varies in a plot. I got a 3582A at a swap meet, its complex and
probably overkill but that's what I have and I am anxious to try it
out and would appreciate any tips. Thanks

The 3582A is just one of many two-channel FFT analyzers which can be used
to measure the frequency response of a system (output re input). What
specifically is your question? Perhaps all you need is to get an operating
manual and learn how to use it?

Spectrum analyzers do a whole lot better with continuous signals than
they do with a plucked guitar string, unless you can capture the audio
and analyze it digitally. If it is an actual FFT that you can use and
you got it cheap enough you may have made a killing in the instrument
department. Why I go to flea markets and especially estate sales where
the widow is running it. About 3 months ago I bought some 30 year old
equipment, brand new in the box from a widow who just wanted to find a
good home for her departed husband's "junk". Tektronix used to have plug
ins for their line of scopes to do just about anything so if you can't
master what you have, check E-bay.
Bill Baka