Old November 30th 06, 04:34 AM
Senior Member

Default Radio designer software

I have a copy of the old ARRL "Radio Designer" software, but it does not run on modern OS's, and ARRL has not renewed their agreement with the author.

Can anyone recommend a similarly capable software package which will run on an XP platform. Need not be freeware, but also cannot afford a professional 'commercial' package.

Suggestions?

The Man in the Maze
QRL at Baboquivari Peak, AZ
Old November 30th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I have the Windows XP on a 2004 Dell computer, and the Radio Designer
program works perfectly. I have been using that program ever since it came
out, no problem. Your difficulty can probably be fixed by the right
technician.

Bill W0IYH

--
Iitoi

Old November 30th 06, 10:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I also have ARRL Designer running fine under Windows XP, on an HP Pavillion
computer. However, I have had problems in the past with compatibility with
certain video cards, especially under Win98.

Joe
W3JDR

Old November 30th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Iitoi" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a similarly capable software package which will
run on an XP platform. Need not be freeware, but also cannot afford a
professional 'commercial' package.

I'd suggest trying out Ansoft SV,
http://www.ansoft.com/ansoftdesignersv/capabilities.cfm. I think one can make
a good argument it's -- by far -- the most powerful free RF simulation tool
out there. The user interface is a little odd, but only a little -- nowhere
near as different as, say, Eagle PCB is. There's a excellent tutorial for it
he
http://www.elektronikschule.de/~krau...x_english.html
....by Gunthard Kraus.

There's also PUFF which... holy deja vu, Batman!... Gunthard Krauss has a page
on getting to work with Windows XP. Sayre's book, "Complete Wireless Design."
is almost the unofficial manual for it. It's nowhere near as powerful as
Ansoft, but you might want to try it out anyway; in its day it was really
quite good.

---Joel Kolstad

Old November 30th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Iitoi ) writes:
I have a copy of the old ARRL "Radio Designer" software, but it does not
run on modern OS's, and ARRL has not renewed their agreement with the
author.

Can anyone recommend a similarly capable software package which will
run on an XP platform. Need not be freeware, but also cannot afford a
professional 'commercial' package.

This has come up in the past, ever since the ARRL stopped selling the
software. Go to groups.google.com and do a search of this newsgroup using
arrl "radio designer" as the searchwords. You're at least going to find
discussion about alternatives after the ARRL version left the scene. It
was apparently a truncated version of some commercial software and at
one point at least there was a free student version of that commercial
software. Read the threads, and it may be helpful finding an alternative.
Though perhaps enough time has elapsed that the alternatives mentioned
have passed into history also, or don't run on recent operating systems.

Michael VE2BVW

Old November 30th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

From: Iitoi on Wed, Nov 29 2006 7:30 pm

I have a copy of the old ARRL "Radio Designer" software, but it does not
run on modern OS's, and ARRL has not renewed their agreement with the
author.

Can anyone recommend a similarly capable software package which will
run on an XP platform. Need not be freeware, but also cannot afford a
professional 'commercial' package.

Suggestions?

I would suggest "LTSpice" from Linear Technology. A freebie!

A full SPICE program that includes a schematic-capture option in
addition to the regular Netlist circuit entry. NO limitations on
number of parts. Some general-purpose models included in supplied
library. Runs fine on my XP Home operating system. Allows
printout of schematics, waveform-response displays from my system.

This SPICE derivative was originally supplied as a marketing aid
to demonstrate Linear's switched power-supply ICs...and apparently
someone at Linear had the bright idea to supply it as a freebie.
We can all benefit from that "marketing mistake" and enjoy a full-
on SPICE program.

I've already used it for a few months and find it matches the
commercially-packaged products from Intusoft and Orcad. Yes, it
does do oscillators without any need to add special components
to start one up. :-)

As with all SPICE derivatives, those not familiar with SPICE have
a learning curve that might be steep. By now, though, SPICE is
rather standardized and - usually - what is written about them in
the recent past will apply here. The schematic-capture drawing
function (converts automatically to a Netlist) is a bit clunky to
use but then so are the commercial programs that have that.

So far, the supplied models in LTSpice Library all seem to follow
the actual parts...such as with workhorse 2N3904 and 2N3906 and
1N4148 semiconductors, plus some others such as a few LEDs,
several standard zeners. Some of the inductors and capacitors
used with switching supplies are in the Library with reasonable
internal characteristics (ESR on electrolytics, DC resistance
and interwinding capacity on coils). One can add other SPICE
models with a supplied model-entry function but I've not tried
that yet...that be a prodigious side project. There's a couple
of websites devoted to using LTSpice already on the 'web, one of
those for modeling audio TUBE amplifiers.

www.linear.com Look in, about 5 MB FREE download.

Old December 1st 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ansoft's Designer SV is available as a student feature-limited
download, and is the replacement for Serenade SV, upon which the ARRL
program was based. I DL'd the demo, and IMHO, it is not oriented
toward the HF RF market.

You won't find it onAnsoft'sr web site, but Serenade SV 8.5 is still
available. I sent Ansoft an email, explained that I would be using it
for amateur R&D/experimentation for the purpose of publishing in
amateur periodicals (which is true - QRP Quarterly), and they agreed
that if the Ansoft Designer SV did not meet my needs, they would try
to find a CD of Serenade SV and send it to me. In the meantime, doing
some serious Googling, I found a copy on a university web site, and I
used that. It runs fine on XP.

If you search the ARRL web site, you'll find some examples in the
January 2001 issue of QST that explored Serenade SV.

Good luck!