Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 7th 06, 09:33 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,alt.ham-radio.hf,alt.ham-radio.morse,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default James Kim: new vs old tech

No doubt many are saddened by the senseless loss of James Kim, the
family man that perished in the mountains of Western Oregon early this
week. I think what makes it all the more tragic is that here was a
person who was on the cutting edge of all the latest and greatest high
tech computer and communications technology. Blackberries, photo
cellphones, wifi PDA's and laptops, etc. I'm stunned a person in such
a high tech vector could become so completely isolated in such a short
distance from the mainstream.

This worries me because it highlights the shortcomings of all this new
high tech gimcrackery. As I understand it, even satellite cellphones
require a service provider with a nearby uplink antenna. So, this
brings up my question, as a non ham:

How long do you think it would have taken James, or anyone in that
situation, to make contact with outside help and get him and his
family out of there if he'd had something like a basic QRP tranceiver
and antenna and knew how to use it?

Any thoughts you may have on this issue would be appreciated.

nb

High Tech Todd? Roger Policy 0 May 28th 05 08:15 AM
Vintage 78 RPM Blues Collection For Sale / Robert Johnson; Elmore James; Blind Boy Fuller; Blind Lemon Jefferson; Bessie Smith; Muddy Waters Harlem Slim / www.deltabluesguitar.com Swap 0 September 8th 04 11:04 PM
Why are so many defending the proposed automatic upgrade from Tech to General? Jason Hsu Policy 56 April 23rd 04 06:58 AM
Why did the FCC merge the Tech and Tech Plus classes in 2000? Jason Hsu Policy 1 January 27th 04 07:13 PM