Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 9th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Need help with ailing antenna bridge...

I've got an MFJ204 antenna bridge that's sickly. It has bands A thru
D. Bands
A thru C work just fine. However, only the upper portion of Band D
works
(usually between 19MHz and 35MHz). But, between 11 MHz and 19 MHz the
oscillator is usually dead. I can sometimes get it to spring to life
with just
the right setting of an attached antenna tuner (or by dancing around
the room
with aluminum foil on my head), but those techniques should not be
required for
factory approved operation.

It appears that the only Band D specific component is an inductor.
However, I
think the band switch works by placing additional inductors in
series...so the
Band D inductor is always in the circuit, even for Bands A-C.
Therefore, I
don't think it's the inductor.

Any ideas why the lower portion of Band D might be dead and what I
might look
for?

Details of my efforts can be viewed at http://wa5psa.blogspot.com/
(warning...this web page should not be viewed by someone with a low
tolerance
for watching someone "learn" by mistakes).

Brad

Part # 2 - The Simplest Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas That I Know Of . . . RHF Shortwave 0 June 2nd 06 10:57 AM
Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 06:53 PM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
Questions -?- Considering a 'small' Shortwave Listener's (SWLs) Antenna RHF Shortwave 1 January 24th 05 09:37 PM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM