Old December 12th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Converting AM Car Radio to Shortwave

David wrote:
http://www.techlib.com/files/rushconv.pdf

Pick your 1MHz band, and tune away. You'll need to tweek a bit if
you want to be very far from 15 MHz.

--
David Hatch
KR7DH

Andy comments:

Excellent, David !!! Thanks for the circuit. Note that it can
easily be modified to get WWV also...... I suspect one could
use a CA3028 if one wanted to build it with a single IC, for some
reason...

Yet another simple converter can be made using a NE602.
I don't have a circuit handy, but it can easily be designed from the
data sheet.
Andy W4OAH

PS I'm going to check out 15.42 Mhz --- I hadn't messed with it
before.....

Old December 12th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

David ) writes:

Pick your 1MHz band, and tune away. You'll need to tweek a bit if
you want to be very far from 15 MHz.

If you choose the 31 and 25 metre bands you can receive both with one
crystal in the oscillator. Many years ago I built a simple converter
using a 10.7 MHz crystal and a tunable front end so I could tune 31 m band
(osc on the high side) and the 25 m band (osc on the low side). Don't
remember now where I got the circuit but it worked very well with a
standard (in those days!) car radio antenna.

.... Martin VE3OAT

Old December 12th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

David wrote:
"AndyS" wrote in 1165840350.029509.309650@
79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

In my opinion, the easiest, most non-destructive way to do this
is to add a converter, using the AM radio as a tuneable IF for
AM transmissions.

Agreed.

And you can still listen to Rush Limbaugh by switching off the
converter....

Or when you switch it on...

http://www.techlib.com/files/rushconv.pdf

Pick your 1MHz band, and tune away. You'll need to tweek a bit if
you want to be very far from 15 MHz.

I'm not that terribly fond of Rush, but I think I might be able to
adapt this to tune in other frequencies, so it should come in handy.
Thanks!

Ralph Glatt

Old December 13th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Converting AM Car Radio to Shortwave UPDATE

I'll admit that the idea of a tube receiver is partly based on looks
than EMP survivalbility. (I managed to find eight wonderful old
headsets at a school sale. Bakelite earpieces and cloth wrapped wire!)
I thought it might give me more of a 50's era Cold War feel. I'm sure
I'm not the only one who likes using tubes as well! ;-)

As far as using solid state, I wouldn't be opposed to it, especially if
I could figure a way to shield the parts from EMP. The main reasons I
wanted to adapt a car's AM radio was because they're cheap (I know for
a fact there's one at the local resale shop) and have a certain amount
of shielding, plus they run on 12 volt DC. I've discovered they have
plans for a shortwave converter in another of the Impoverished Radio
Experimenter's books, so I might look into that. There is also a bit of
that post-apocalyptic feel of using "junk" to listen to the airwaves.

I'm seriously considering getting a ham license. So far, the only thing
holding me back is learning Morse code for CW.

Thanks to all who have posted with suggestions, advice and comments.

Ralph Glatt

Old December 13th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

julian814 wrote:
I'm seriously considering getting a ham license. So far, the only thing
holding me back is learning Morse code for CW.

Do a search on Code Quick. I think the URL is www.codequick2000.com or
something like that. It's a combination audio/visual/tactile system
that teaches you how to copy morse code as if it were words and not
beeps.

Worked great for me, I tried for 29 years and never was able to get anywhere
near 5 wpm. With code quick I was able to pass the 13wpm test and at my
peak copy at 35wpm.

Best $50 I ever spent on the hobby.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Old December 14th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
julian814 wrote:
I'm seriously considering getting a ham license. So far, the only thing
holding me back is learning Morse code for CW.

Do a search on Code Quick. I think the URL is www.codequick2000.com or
something like that. It's a combination audio/visual/tactile system
that teaches you how to copy morse code as if it were words and not
beeps.

Worked great for me, I tried for 29 years and never was able to get anywhere
near 5 wpm. With code quick I was able to pass the 13wpm test and at my
peak copy at 35wpm.

Best $50 I ever spent on the hobby.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Heck your hot mail dont work my links dont work. so try nj7p's tube
data web page I'm sure it has a link to an RCA tube manual. In the back
of the RCA tube manual is many a circuit an the older the manaul the
better the tube circuits are or were. I recall a converter or two back
in the day, all tube radio, on a points/distributor ignition system
car, yeah vibrators those were the days. You know the trick to clean
the contacts on a vibrator 100 watt light bulb in series with the coil
and plug it into the mains

Then just about the time tung sol invented the 12VDC plate voltage
tube, transistors took over.
I even know how to make a tube out of a dual filament car taillight.
Now there's a real tube.

ray
N8ZU/e0

Hey I like to know what country has a code requirement to get your
ticket.

Old December 16th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

ray13 wrote:
Heck your hot mail dont work my links dont work. so try nj7p's tube
data web page I'm sure it has a link to an RCA tube manual. In the back
of the RCA tube manual is many a circuit an the older the manaul the
better the tube circuits are or were. I recall a converter or two back
in the day, all tube radio, on a points/distributor ignition system
car, yeah vibrators those were the days. You know the trick to clean
the contacts on a vibrator 100 watt light bulb in series with the coil
and plug it into the mains

Sounds good, I'll have to check it out.

Then just about the time tung sol invented the 12VDC plate voltage
tube, transistors took over.
I even know how to make a tube out of a dual filament car taillight.
Now there's a real tube.

I wouldn't mind knowing how to do that myself. One of the really good
radio books from Lindsay tells how to make your own vacuum tubes and
transistors. I'm thinking of picking that up as well.

ray
N8ZU/e0

Hey I like to know what country has a code requirement to get your
ticket.

I've been told that "real" hams know code. For now, I'm mainly
interested in listening to news from outside the US and possibly any
Civil Defense frequencies. Would definitely be interested in listening
into any frequency that plays old time radio programs.

Ralph Glatt

Old December 16th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I even know how to make a tube out of a dual filament car taillight.
Now there's a real tube.

I, too, would like to see a circuit which demonstrates that "tube"
did something useful. Is it just a diode (i.e., rectifier), or
can it also amplify?

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
Old December 14th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I'm seriously considering getting a ham license. So far, the only thing
holding me back is learning Morse code for CW.

===========================
You currently only need to do a 5 wpm morse (receive only) for the
highest class of licence ,giving you all the privileges available to a
licenced radio amateur.
So you can start with with getting licences with not all the privileges
and enjoy operating before you go for the Amateur Extra class of licence.

Frank KN6WH / GM0CSZ
Old January 14th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Highland Ham wrote:
I'm seriously considering getting a ham license. So far, the only thing
holding me back is learning Morse code for CW.

You currently only need to do a 5 wpm morse (receive only) for the
highest class of licence ,giving you all the privileges available to a
licenced radio amateur.
So you can start with with getting licences with not all the privileges
and enjoy operating before you go for the Amateur Extra class of licence.

Frank KN6WH / GM0CSZ

Well effective sometime in Feburary, 2007 you won't need code to get
the highest class of license. See?

My crystal ball saw this a coming.