Old January 26th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default L/Series network tuner

In looking to build a tuner, I was looking at an L-network tuner, with
switched inductance. If I also add a switch to make it a
series-network (capacitance "before" or "after" inductance), what would
be the limitations of such a design? I.e. What types of antennas, or
under what conditions would it be inappropriate?

Thanks.

Old January 26th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"marc" wrote in news:1169823069.024417.273600
@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

In looking to build a tuner, I was looking at an L-network tuner, with
switched inductance. If I also add a switch to make it a
series-network (capacitance "before" or "after" inductance), what would
be the limitations of such a design? I.e. What types of antennas, or
under what conditions would it be inappropriate?

Thanks.

Hi Marc:

TenTec has made tuners of that design for many years. I have one in my
shack and it works very well for me. The advantage of the L-network over
the more common T is in ease of tuning. The L-network has only one
correct tuning spot for each load. The T network can have several
"matching points" some of which can result in large internal losses
instead of an efficient match. The L network has slightly less loss when
matched than the common T network. The main con for the L network is the
requirement to switch the capacitor around to match loads that are
greater or smaller than the input load.
Other than the above both networks do the same thing and there is nothing
T network can do that the L network can’t and it needs one less capacitor
than a T network.
You can see I’m biased to the L, try one you will like it.

John Passaneau
W3JXP State College PA

L/Series network tuner marc Antenna 2 January 28th 07 03:07 PM
the watchman Norman Triantafilos Policy 4 September 26th 06 12:53 PM
the watchman Norman Triantafilos General 1 September 16th 06 09:59 PM
the watchman Norman Triantafilos Policy 1 September 16th 06 09:59 PM
the watchman Norman Triantafilos General 1 September 16th 06 08:09 PM