Old March 9th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default PowerSDR, SDRADIO etc - demodulation possible using only I or Q, why?

Huge thanks Glenn, Joel, Paul and Len.

I had to read your mails 'few' times before I fully understood the
content. This subject acutally isn't anything you read at coffee break
at work within 5 minutes, hi!

I'm gonna stick of course with the IQ instead of using only other
component since I've build and IQ transceiver I was just pretty
amazed that I could have clear FM or AM audio out just by using one
component, but immediately notice the 6db change. But now, it's clear
to me, there's nothing special in that. The same amplitude can be
found in I and Q and OF COURSE we can demodulate AM or FM without the
second component.

Actually, Joel, your answers were pretty good for me, even with the
"more advanced" math, like Len said, hi. At first glance, I couldn't
get anything in to my head, but reading it few times more started to
reveal the math behind the whole thing. I'm really looking forward to
get more into the math and understanding the IQ demodulation and
modulation.

I had very good succestions even for the hardware stuff, but I think
I'll stick with the IQ rx/tx I just made. Actually, those HW ideas
also gave new aspects of thinking the way how IQ signals can be
demodulated in software. I also liked the C-QUAM information. Really
nice, because I didn't knew about the whole C-QUAM -thing.

Wildest dream would be of course, FULLY understand the demodulation
of any common modes and write my own software, but I've just done some
non-FFT releated stuff with Visual Basic, so not so promising

I want to thank everyone for the comments and advices, I had more
than I've read so far from the articles laying around the internet.
Always when ppl are talking to ppl, they communicate, but reading from
the books, that's just trying to figure out what a heck has been in
the mind of the writer. Ok, depends on the article, some might write
in a more common sense.

Just on question mo If I really want to dig into the math thing of
IQ modulation/demodulation, is there any articles you would like to
succest? I mean, I've never been that good in high tech math, so at
least the beginning of the article would have to be understood with
'basic' math.

73 de Janne, OH1GTF

PS. Yesterday my friend OH1CO brought RFspace's SDR-IQ transceiver to
the club (club evening) which he just bought. At our city club, we
have only 80m dipole hanging on the trees, but that didn't bother us,
we could copy wery interesting station on all bands at HF, all over
the world. I'm a 'bit' excited! I also received PSK station all over
the world @ 80 meters, with just few meters of wire in my shack
(powersdr and digipan).

Old March 9th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 8 Mar 2007 21:50:51 -0800, OH1GTF wrote in .com:

73 de Janne, OH1GTF

PS. Yesterday my friend OH1CO brought RFspace's SDR-IQ transceiver to
the club (club evening) which he just bought. At our city club, we
have only 80m dipole hanging on the trees, but that didn't bother us,
we could copy wery interesting station on all bands at HF, all over
the world. I'm a 'bit' excited! I also received PSK station all over
the world @ 80 meters, with just few meters of wire in my shack
(powersdr and digipan).

Janne,

I'm about to order an SDR-IQ board. I thought it was just a receiver.
If it's a transceiver, that's a big bonus.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin
Old March 11th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Oh sorry Mike, my fault, I talked so much about my transceiver that
the word some how caught to my head. Yep, the SDR-IQ is rx only. Sorry
for the mix up!

73 de Janne, OH1GTF