Old April 10th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jim Jim is offline

Default IR adapter hack

I would like some help in hacking an IR printer adapter made for the HP 350c
printer. This is a tiny pc board with a minimum of components connected via
8 wires to a parallel printer connector. I would like to put this to use as
a serial port to IRDA device if possible. Yes, I know there are probably
simpler ways, but this is a very tiny board, and I'd like to learn from it
anyway.

This board is different from others I have torn into. It has an IRDA
transmitter/receiver encoder/decoder similar to but a bit smaller than the
HSDL7001 but only has the numbers R800 and 016A on the back. This is a
through hole, 9 staggered pin device. This adapter was sold by HP so is
this R800 an HP part? Wish I had a data sheet!

In addition there is a small crystal with the frequency 3.68 mhz but no
processor......but does have 3 transistors, 2 resistors, and 2 capacitors
(all surface mount). I think this is the frequency specified for 16xclk.

On the connector side, the only used pins a

18 +5v
19 gnd
10 low-ack
1 low data strobe
13 high
12 high-paper end
19 gnd

19-31-36 (low) (gnd) are all conncted
11-16 connected (gnd)

The presence of the crystal leads me to believe that the baud rate is taken
care of already, on-board. So how do I go about finding where the rx and tx
connections should be. Or is this even possible? The circuit is obviosly
getting it's power (5v) from the printer.

I have in mind to use this on my Etrex GPS to upload/download info via IR
from my computer.

Thanks
Jim

Old April 11th 07, 11:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jim wrote:
[...]

Google for IRDA circuits/projects,etc.. there's alot of info out there.
I made one a few years ago,not hard at all.(all of about 3-4 components)
Old April 15th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jim Jim is offline

What chip did you use? A Vishay TFDT4500 or something like this? The data
sheet would suggest what you indicated about 4 or 5 components needed.
Other than that, Maxim and Microchip parts would require more work and
parts.....what other options?

Thanks
Jim

Old April 15th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jim wrote:
What chip did you use? A Vishay TFDT4500 or something like this? The data
sheet would suggest what you indicated about 4 or 5 components needed.
Other than that, Maxim and Microchip parts would require more work and
parts.....what other options?

Thanks
Jim

IIRC the one I made connected to the serial port,and was nothing more
than an IR reciever,and an infrared LED..couple resistors,and a Diode
and small cap,or something like that...no chips needed.
Connection to the parallel port might require some more 'trickery'.

"PhattyMo" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
[...]

DE1121 FAQ now online--includes airband hack [email protected] Shortwave 2 January 21st 07 04:43 PM
help me hack mailbox alert [email protected] Antenna 2 December 29th 04 09:51 PM
FS : Radio hack Pro-2006 scanner Dan Conti Swap 1 September 5th 04 02:02 PM
Radio Raft Hack Xanax Digital 4 December 7th 03 04:27 AM
Radio Raft Hack Xanax Digital 0 December 7th 03 01:39 AM