Old July 7th 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Trying to identify receiver.

Good Day All!

Have recently aquired a "homebrew" receiver which I am trying to upgrade
and fully restore to working order.
In the back of my mind I am quite sure that it was a published design
possibly in "Electronics Australia" or similar back in the 1960's or
early 70's.
It is a 6 valve/tube design using an ECF82 first mixer/oscillator (1st
if about 4 Mhz)
, a 6BE6 Pentagrid second mixer/osc, originally with varactor fine
tuning down to 455 KHz. 2nd oscillator on about 4.5 Mhz.
It then has 2 stages of 455 KHz IF originally using EF183's with 2 IF
transformers per stage, a total of 10 tuned circuits at 455 Khz.
This is followed by a 6BE6 product detector/BFO (Drake style) or a diode
for AM rception and an ECL82 for audio stage and output.
It has 4 bands from about 3 MHz to 30 MHz.
Does any one remember coming across this circuit?
It has some rather eccentric features like IF neutalisation and a VERY
lossy coupling between IF stages.
Any information gratefully received as I would like to
1. find an original circuit.
and
2. Find out why some of the peculiar design details were used.
Hope it rings a bell with someone.

73's Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA
Old July 13th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jul 7, 4:55 am, cliff wright wrote:
[...]

No: But I vaguely remember a QST article of the 1950s? about a
receiever that used many 'stagger tuned'? IF circuits to get bandwidth
suitable for amateur work? Also IIRC it was an American husband-wife
team who wrote the article?
Terry