Old July 12th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Homemade piezo earpiece

Hello,

Assuming I could made a nice rochelle salt crystal like the one shown
he http://seawhy.com/xlrs.html, any suggestions on how to proceed
to make a piezo earpiece?

Some possible thoughts:
a. Spring clamp copper plates to 2 opposing surfaces and test with a
multimeter for piezo effect, then super glue a malleus to the top
plate and touch it to a foil drum. The plates are the electrodes.
b. Make a foil 'setting' for a small crystal, and touch the crystal to
a foil drum. The 'setting' and the drum are the electrodes.
c. Load several small crystals into a shallow can and insert a copper
plate with malleus [which touches a foil drum. The can and plate are
the electrodes.

Joseph

Old July 14th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I guess a look at the guts of an old piezo tweeter could give you a
hand. Or maybe, an old old crystal phonographic pickup?. An ultrasonic
cleaner perhaps?.

Old July 16th 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jul 13, 11:30 pm, lw1ecp wrote:
I guess a look at the guts of an old piezo tweeter could give you a
hand.

I had never heard of a piezo tweeter before your post. They sound like
a different type of device than what I am pursuing. I need an earpiece
with very high impedance, one that can work off of the nominal
potential a crystal radio circuit can produce.

But hey, thank you for the feedback, my world is ever so slightly
larger than before...

Old July 16th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Go to http://www.allelectronics.com and do a search on their
website for "piezo".
They have a number of Piezo elements available at reasonable prices.
Arv K7HKL

Old July 24th 07, 08:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Just caught the tail end of this conversation, but thought you might
find this of interest:

http://www.hpfriedrichs.com/rr-pzphone.htm

73
Pete
AC7ZL

Old July 24th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jul 24, 12:07 am, "H. P. Friedrichs" wrote:
Just caught the tail end of this conversation, but thought you might
find this of interest:

http://www.hpfriedrichs.com/rr-pzphone.htm

Thanks Pete,
Very interesting indeed; perhaps I can convince the local library to
stock one of your books.

Christian

Is this homemade antenna OK MC Shortwave 11 April 21st 04 03:29 AM
Earpiece for scanner No Equipment 8 August 8th 03 01:40 AM
Earpiece for scanner No General 4 August 8th 03 01:40 AM
Earpiece for scanner No Scanner 4 August 8th 03 01:40 AM
Earpiece for scanner No Equipment 0 August 7th 03 05:41 PM