RadioBanter

-   -   How do I change my tube type am car radio to solid state am fm radio? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/123298-how-do-i-change-my-tube-type-am-car-radio-solid-state-am-fm-radio.html)

[email protected] August 11th 07 03:09 AM

How do I change my tube type am car radio to solid state am fm radio?

I have a 57 ford radio with town and country, it is tube am. Is there
any articals around on changing this to solid state with fm?

John WA8ZPN

Scott August 12th 07 07:35 PM

How do I change my tube type am car radio to solid state am fmradio?

Do you mean removing the guts and replacing tubes with with modern solid
state parts or do you mean somehow replacing entire radio with an Alpine
or Pioneer or something that will fit in the hole in the dash?

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/

Uncle Peter August 12th 07 10:31 PM

wrote:
I have a 57 ford radio with town and country, it is tube am. Is there
any articals around on changing this to solid state with fm?

John WA8ZPN

Ask Gary Tayman over on rec.antiques.radios&phonos. He does that
for a living.

Pete k1zjh

[email protected] August 13th 07 12:30 AM

wrote:
I have a 57 ford radio with town and country, it is tube am. Is there
any articals around on changing this to solid state with fm?

John WA8ZPN

--
Scotthttp://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)

Hi Scott. what I would like to do is use the original radio and
replace all the tubes with solid state. I have built a few stations
over the years so it can't be that hard.

John

Scott August 13th 07 02:37 AM

How do I change my tube type am car radio to solid state am fmradio?

OK, maybe you can remove all the old guts and do some magic and put new
guts (from a donor radio) into the old case?

[email protected] August 13th 07 05:29 AM

wrote:

I have a 57 ford radio with town and country, it is tube am. Is there
any articals around on changing this to solid state with fm?

John WA8ZPN

--
Scotthttp://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)

Hi Scott. what I would like to do is use the original radio and
replace all the tubes with solid state. I have built a few stations
over the years so it can't be that hard.

John

--
Scotthttp://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)- Hide quoted text -

If worst comes to worst, that is what I may do.

John

[email protected] August 13th 07 05:46 AM

How do I change my tube type am car radio to solid state am fm radio?

John,
it is alot more fun to restore an old tube radio.
I did it many times. Parts are available.
Fred
wb6iiq