Old January 8th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Homebrew Triode !!

Yep for real See video at URL:
http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3...e-lampe-triode

Nice Music Too
Brush Up on your French

From F2FO, radioamateur depuis 1959, montre ici les différentes étapes de la
construction d'une lampe triode réalisée par ses soins.

Lamont

Old January 8th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

The Shadow wrote:

Yep for real See video at URL:

absurd italian url snipped

There has been a thread on this topic in sci.electronics.repair; I
quote my last post here and refer others to the previous thread:

N Cook wrote:
snip --- why does everyone persist on quoting that absurd Italian
URL when I posted the proper ones days ago?

What was the small hinged halved chamber , he used a few times? - for
annealing the glass ?

I did not follow the getter process.
Would someone have to be licensed to get hold of barium, caesium ?

Here is a repost of the reference:

Thanks for the post; very inspiring. For anyone wishing to learn more,
the author's website is:
http://paillard.claude.free.fr/

Also, you can access the video more simply he
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x3wrzo

(just the flash player, no baggage).

If you wish to save the video, make sure your browser's cache has at least
60MB free space; when the video has concluded playing, look for a file
of size 57,195,733 bytes. Copy this to 'filename.flv' and play it in
VLC, or any flv player.

Old January 10th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
cbx cbx is offline

Anybody know where FIrefox stores the file, I searched the whole
computer for the file name, nothing. Looked in all the obvious
places,
no luck.

Jim

Old January 10th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

cbx wrote:

Anybody know where FIrefox stores the file, I searched the whole
computer for the file name, nothing. Looked in all the obvious
places,
no luck.

Please reference my previous post on this topic; clear your cache
before viewing the video (and be sure to use the url that I posted,
not that crazy Italian url), and then look for a file of the
exact size I stated in the post. Be sure to specify at least
60MB for your cache, or the file won't be there.

Regards,

Michael
Old January 11th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:04:03 -0600, cbx wrote:
Anybody know where FIrefox stores the file, I searched the whole
computer for the file name, nothing. Looked in all the obvious
places,
no luck.

$ locate Cache | grep mozilla

Mind the CaPiTAlIZatIoN there.

Also, insure you have your browser set to actually _use_ cache and
that you have your cache size set Mucho Grande! The video is 57+ MB.

$ ls -ol *.flv
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jonesy 57195626 Jan 3 20:18 HomeMadeVacuumTubes.flv

(You'll want to rename it to something human-understandable getting it
out of cache.)

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm

Old January 13th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
cbx cbx is offline

Just where would I type these things:

$ locate Cache | grep mozilla

and

$ ls -ol *.flv
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jonesy 57195626 Jan 3 20:18 HomeMadeVacuumTubes.flv

Do you type it in some kind of SEARCH program or just where please?

I now have the file in the cache, but can't find the cache. I don't
think it's in the Mozilla directory, probably under Documents.
I cleared the cache after setting it to 100 Mb, then downloaded the
file. Still looking, will try a search on *.FLV and see if it
appears.

Jim

Old January 13th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

cbx wrote:

Just where would I type these things:

snip

If you are using Windows, in a cmd.exe window try:
c: (or whatever drive letter contains your moz data files)
cd \
dir /s | find "57195626"

Michael

Old January 13th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:04:03 -0600, cbx wrote:

Anybody know where FIrefox stores the file, I searched the whole
computer for the file name, nothing. Looked in all the obvious places,
no luck.

Get the Unplug add-on, then you can snag all sorts of media files.

I finally got around to watching it last night. Quite impressive. After
all, DeForest et.al. developed these methods when such techniques were
unknown and more primitive. What he shows is that things can be done on
a small scale and don't require large factories or armies of workers.
Also, techniques like those he shows need to be preserved from being lost
to industrial archives.

Beyond the electrical knowledge to make a tube that works, his ability to
work with glass was most impressive to me.

73, de Nate

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimist fears this is true."
Old January 13th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
cbx cbx is offline

Where Can I get the UNPLUG add on? Is it add on for Firefox
or for the Flash Player plugin? I finally found the file, but all
attempts to "Unlock" the file shuts the SWF player down, even using
special unlocking software.

Anyway, can you spell out exactly how I get this add on and install it
in Firefox?

The file is stored in Windows in the following file/directory:

C;\Documents and Settings\Joe User\Local Settings\Temp\fla_B.tmp
where the _ is A,B,C,D,C. depending on how many times you download
the thing. Any attempts to copy are fruitless, any attempts to unlock
the file are fruitless, as the SWF pugin player just shuts down
immediately and everything disappears. Perhaps there is some software
that can copy the file even though it is locked? I have UNLOCKER
installed on my machine and as soon as I tell it to unlock the file,
it disappears as does the SWF player (flvplayer.swf comes up in
Mozilla when you click on the link).

In meantime I'll try to find this UNPLUG plugin at Mozilla.

Old January 14th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

cbx wrote:

snip

The file is stored in Windows in the following file/directory:

C;\Documents and Settings\Joe User\Local Settings\Temp\fla_B.tmp
where the _ is A,B,C,D,C. depending on how many times you download
the thing. Any attempts to copy are fruitless, any attempts to unlock
the file are fruitless, as the SWF pugin player just shuts down
immediately and everything disappears. Perhaps there is some software
that can copy the file even though it is locked? I have UNLOCKER
installed on my machine and as soon as I tell it to unlock the file,
it disappears as does the SWF player (flvplayer.swf comes up in
Mozilla when you click on the link).

snip

I use NS7.2 (Mozilla Gecko engine); I don't know the filesystem layout
of Mozilla-branded browsers so anyone with details, please chime in.
In Netscape, you can specify cache locations which can permit working
with file and directory permissions independently of volatile temp.
directories such as you have mentioned above. I have not had any
file locking problems with cache files in Netscape when copying
them from a command prompt (I don't work in a GUI). One caveat which
I mentioned before is to allocate sufficient cache size to permit
storing the full flv file and to clear the directory prior to viewing
the video in order to ensure that the file is stored and persists in
the cache.

If your Windows environment somehow prevents access to the file when
it is in a cache on a local drive, try assigning your cache to a
network share which may permit grabbing it from a different machine
(for me, I use Netware shares for my browser's cache and it is easy
to grab them from a mounted nfs filesystem on a unix box or even to
undelete them with the Netware 'salvage' utility if they should vanish).

Perhaps you can use an ntfs undelete utility to recover the file from
a local drive if the above methods don't work for you.

Regards,

Michael