RadioBanter

-   -   April 1977 QST article (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/129422-april-1977-qst-article.html)

Spamm Trappe February 15th 08 04:26 PM

April 1977 QST article

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:49:38 -0600, Pete KE9OA wrote:

Could you please send me another copy of that article I sent
you................I had to format my hard drive, and I lost that
article.

Ahhh.... Another satisfied windoz user.

Bert Hyman February 15th 08 05:08 PM

April 1977 QST article

(Spamm Trappe) wrote in
:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:49:38 -0600, Pete KE9OA wrote:

Could you please send me another copy of that article I sent
you................I had to format my hard drive, and I lost that
article.

Ahhh.... Another satisfied windoz user.

Disk failure or corruption is unique to Windows?

Is there some magic in all other operating systems that prevents disk
failures?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Norm Mann February 16th 08 03:26 AM

April 1977 QST article

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Spamm Trappe) wrote in
:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:49:38 -0600, Pete KE9OA wrote:

Could you please send me another copy of that article I sent
you................I had to format my hard drive, and I lost that
article.

Ahhh.... Another satisfied windoz user.

Disk failure or corruption is unique to Windows?

Is there some magic in all other operating systems that prevents disk
failures?

Not necessarily, but Windows has been subject to an extreme amount of code
bloat, in comparison to some other OS's, which tends to make the effect of
any disk problem worse for Windows.
The problem is not the OS, it's the lack of backing up or making hardcopies
of data one wishes to save before the disk fails.

-NM

Pete KE9OA February 16th 08 08:54 AM

April 1977 QST article

Neither of those issues is the problem. It was a virus. I regularly make DVD
backups of all data whenever I format my hard drives, but in this case, I
trusted that fact that I would be able to transfer all of my important data
to my secondary (slave) hard drive.
Unfortunately, when I reinstalled Windows XP Pro, the crummy operating
system didn't recognize my backup drive unless I formatted it. To make
matters worse, the stupid, stupid, stupid Western Digital "Data Lifeguard"
software would not mount my backup drive onto the system unless I
reformatted that also. There was no option to configure my backup drive into
the system unless I actually formatted it and lost all of my backup data. It
looks like Western Digital is following Microsuck's footsteps. I should have
transferred all of my important data either to a DVD or to my Linux system.
Never again a Western Digital drive!
The fact remains though, that I still need a copy of that article from at
least one of the 10 people that I was nice enough to forward it to. That
would help me much more than the various "lectures" about what I should have
done!

Pete

"Norm Mann" wrote in message

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Spamm Trappe) wrote in
:

Harold E. Johnson February 16th 08 12:46 PM

April 1977 QST article

[...]

GM Pete. I recommend "Ghost" to make mirror bootable images of hard drives.
Howsomever, I just got back from a week in FL with the kids. I have all the
ARRL stuff back to 1914, tell me what you're looking for and will send it
privately.

W4ZCB

Pete KE9OA February 16th 08 08:24 PM

April 1977 QST article

Thanks Harold............that would be super. I do have Norton Ghost, but
unfortunately if I imaged the data from my C drive to my D drive, I would
also have imaged the virus.
Thanks again!

Pete

Highland Ham February 20th 08 10:56 PM

April 1977 QST article

Could you please send me another copy of that article I sent
you................I had to format my hard drive, and I lost that article.
Thanks!

Pete

================
Pete , I thought you were a Linux user......;))

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

southerner August 1st 08 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete KE9OA (Post 613356)
Hi,

Does anybody have a copy of the April 1977 QST? The article I am interested
in the the one by Howard Sartori, entitled
"solid tubes, a new life for old designs".
If somebody could scan this article, I would be glad to pay them. Thanks!

Pete KE9OA

Pete did you ever get that article? Did you have any luck making them? I am trying to run down parts to make some for my Drake twins and for the KWM2 but having trouble finding a lot of the transistors and also the 7 and 9 pin tube headers and shrouds. Searching gives me lots of 9 to 25 pin serial adapters but no male plugs. What are they actually called? Where did you find a source for them? Did you modify the circuits to use 2 JFets? Did you layout a pc board for the modules?

Thank you.

Jim