Old February 7th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Looking for ICOM F/O cable P/N's: OPC-172, OPC-172A or OPC-189

Hello all -

I am looking for a replacement fiber optic cable that was used in the ICOM
IC-901A/E multi-band radio system.

The ICOM Fiber Optic Cable part numbers that will work a OPC-172,
OPC-172A or OPC-189.

I have looked at the manufacturer's site and talked to their support staff,
they are no longer stocking or supporting these parts. I have also looked
on e-Bay and several other sites without success

If someone knows where I might find any of these part numbers, either new or
used, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for any help.

Gary Waldeck, K6AIR

Gwaldeck (at) ix (dot) Netcom (dot) com

Looking for ICOM F/O cable P/N's: OPC-172, OPC-172A or OPC-189

Old February 7th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 04:02:06 GMT,
Gary Waldeck wrote in
:

Hello all -

I am looking for a replacement fiber optic cable that was used in the ICOM
IC-901A/E multi-band radio system.

The ICOM Fiber Optic Cable part numbers that will work a OPC-172,
OPC-172A or OPC-189.

I have looked at the manufacturer's site and talked to their support staff,
they are no longer stocking or supporting these parts. I have also looked
on e-Bay and several other sites without success

If someone knows where I might find any of these part numbers, either new or
used, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for any help.

Looking for ICOM F/O cable P/N's: OPC-172, OPC-172A or OPC-189

First thing to do is identify the connectors; next is to ID the cable
wavelength and whether singlemode or multimode. I'm not sure that the
mode matters all that much for shorty cables, but it can for long
runs. Once you've got those IDed, you probably can find someone local
to fab a cable for you.

If ICOM can give you that stuff, you're home free. Otherwise, you may
need to look at part numbers in the hardware.

FO cables are pretty much tinkertoys with standard connectors and
standard cables, and I'd be surprised if ICOM used something non-std.
just to make things more difficult.

Best of luck.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin
Old February 8th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Mike Andrews wrote:
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 04:02:06 GMT,
Gary Waldeck wrote in
:

[...]

Finding a suitable replacement may be as simple as going to circuit
city or best buy. A lot of audio/video equipment uses fiber optic
interconnect cables.

Jimmie