RadioBanter

-   -   Variable inductor, DIY? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/132033-variable-inductor-diy.html)

Esther & Fester Bestertester March 31st 08 10:11 PM

Variable inductor, DIY?

I'd like to build a variable inductor with what I have around my shop (lots
of bits n' pieces, but no cores). I need it to work in the area of 20-30 mH,
1A, 25-30 KHz.

Is this something do-able? Is there something available off-the-shelf?

Suggestions of how to go about it would be greatly appreciated.

FBt

geek April 1st 08 09:07 AM

Variable inductor, DIY?

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:11:22 -0700, Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:

I'd like to build a variable inductor with what I have around my shop (lots
of bits n' pieces, but no cores). I need it to work in the area of 20-30 mH,
1A, 25-30 KHz.

Is this something do-able? Is there something available off-the-shelf?

Suggestions of how to go about it would be greatly appreciated.

FBt

Hi,

You need it to handle 1A of current down there? You must be a VLFer.

No cores is right, it will probably saturate and make for a BBQ. We are
talking a BIG air core inductor here. A variometer might be your best bet
for variable inductance with those specs. Give that a Google.

Cheers,
__
Gregg

Esther & Fester Bestertester April 1st 08 08:49 PM

Variable inductor, DIY?

A variometer might be your best bet
for variable inductance with those specs. Give that a Google.

Thanks for the pointer, Gregg. Excellent information available, once one
knows the right terminology. :-)

FBt

Anon bozo April 3rd 08 07:00 AM

Variable inductor, DIY?

You need it to handle 1A of current down there? You must be a VLFer.

No cores is right, it will probably saturate and make for a BBQ. We are
talking a BIG air core inductor here.

OK, how about if I lower the specs to ~0.5A, or even less. How can I
construct a variable inductor 0 to 10 mHy (or more)?

Thank,
FBt

Allodoxaphobia April 3rd 08 04:50 PM

Variable inductor, DIY?

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 23:00:33 -0700, Anon bozo wrote:
You need it to handle 1A of current down there? You must be a VLFer.

No cores is right, it will probably saturate and make for a BBQ. We are
talking a BIG air core inductor here.

OK, how about if I lower the specs to ~0.5A, or even less. How can I
construct a variable inductor 0 to 10 mHy (or more)?

Maybe a variac? Or, would that be too VVLF? HI!HI!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm

JB[_2_] April 3rd 08 04:57 PM

Variable inductor, DIY?

This is the answer:
http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/variodes.html

obal.net...

Allodoxaphobia April 4th 08 03:48 PM

Variable inductor, DIY?

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 15:57:08 GMT, JB wrote:
This is the answer:
http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/variodes.html

I like the way the answers are carried out to *thirteen* decimal places!

Wim Ton April 8th 08 08:18 PM

Variable inductor, DIY?

"Esther & Fester Bestertester" wrote in message
obal.net...
I'd like to build a variable inductor with what I have around my shop

(lots
of bits n' pieces, but no cores). I need it to work in the area of 20-30

mH,
1A, 25-30 KHz.

How about using a very low-ohmic wire-wound pot? OK. Q will not be
brilliant, but in these applications you may get away with it

Wim

Sjouke Burry April 8th 08 08:37 PM

Variable inductor, DIY?

Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:
I'd like to build a variable inductor with what I have around my shop (lots
of bits n' pieces, but no cores). I need it to work in the area of 20-30 mH,
1A, 25-30 KHz.

Is this something do-able? Is there something available off-the-shelf?

Suggestions of how to go about it would be greatly appreciated.

FBt

Take a transformer with sufficient mH, and use a constant current
on one of the unused windings to saturate the iron core to reduce
the mH rating.

JB[_2_] April 14th 08 04:31 PM

Variable inductor, DIY?

I never measured a Variac before. Might be higher than you were looking
for. That's variable for sure. A good thing to have around the shop.