Old March 31st 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Variable inductor, DIY?

I'd like to build a variable inductor with what I have around my shop (lots
of bits n' pieces, but no cores). I need it to work in the area of 20-30 mH,
1A, 25-30 KHz.

Is this something do-able? Is there something available off-the-shelf?

Suggestions of how to go about it would be greatly appreciated.

FBt

Old April 1st 08, 09:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:11:22 -0700, Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:

I'd like to build a variable inductor with what I have around my shop (lots
of bits n' pieces, but no cores). I need it to work in the area of 20-30 mH,
1A, 25-30 KHz.

Is this something do-able? Is there something available off-the-shelf?

Suggestions of how to go about it would be greatly appreciated.

FBt

Hi,

You need it to handle 1A of current down there? You must be a VLFer.

No cores is right, it will probably saturate and make for a BBQ. We are
talking a BIG air core inductor here. A variometer might be your best bet
for variable inductance with those specs. Give that a Google.

Cheers,
__
Gregg
Old April 1st 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

A variometer might be your best bet
for variable inductance with those specs. Give that a Google.

Thanks for the pointer, Gregg. Excellent information available, once one
knows the right terminology. :-)

FBt

Old April 3rd 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

You need it to handle 1A of current down there? You must be a VLFer.

No cores is right, it will probably saturate and make for a BBQ. We are
talking a BIG air core inductor here.

OK, how about if I lower the specs to ~0.5A, or even less. How can I
construct a variable inductor 0 to 10 mHy (or more)?

Thank,
FBt

Old April 3rd 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 23:00:33 -0700, Anon bozo wrote:
You need it to handle 1A of current down there? You must be a VLFer.

No cores is right, it will probably saturate and make for a BBQ. We are
talking a BIG air core inductor here.

OK, how about if I lower the specs to ~0.5A, or even less. How can I
construct a variable inductor 0 to 10 mHy (or more)?

Maybe a variac? Or, would that be too VVLF? HI!HI!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm

Old April 4th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 15:57:08 GMT, JB wrote:
This is the answer:
http://www.qsl.net/in3otd/variodes.html

I like the way the answers are carried out to *thirteen* decimal places!
Old April 8th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

"Esther & Fester Bestertester" wrote in message
obal.net...
I'd like to build a variable inductor with what I have around my shop

(lots
of bits n' pieces, but no cores). I need it to work in the area of 20-30

mH,
1A, 25-30 KHz.

How about using a very low-ohmic wire-wound pot? OK. Q will not be
brilliant, but in these applications you may get away with it

Wim

Old April 8th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:
I'd like to build a variable inductor with what I have around my shop (lots
of bits n' pieces, but no cores). I need it to work in the area of 20-30 mH,
1A, 25-30 KHz.

Is this something do-able? Is there something available off-the-shelf?

Suggestions of how to go about it would be greatly appreciated.

FBt

Take a transformer with sufficient mH, and use a constant current
on one of the unused windings to saturate the iron core to reduce
the mH rating.
Old April 14th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

I never measured a Variac before. Might be higher than you were looking
for. That's variable for sure. A good thing to have around the shop.

news77Jj.18730$bC6.7879@trnddc08...

Inductor operation art Antenna 0 December 14th 06 04:27 PM
roller inductor [email protected] Boatanchors 4 December 6th 04 04:18 PM
roller inductor [email protected] Boatanchors 0 December 5th 04 03:59 PM
18nH Inductor Joe Homebrew 23 October 9th 04 09:50 PM
WTB Roller Inductor John Boatanchors 2 April 2nd 04 04:03 AM