Old May 22nd 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Multiplier chains

"Alan Peake" wrote in message
Hello all,
I am trying to muliply a 72MHz crystal oscillator to 1296 MHz. My
first approach was to just make a series of X2 or X3 transistor mulipliers
to get the require X18 multiplication fact. However, I have found two
pieces of equipment in the junk box which just use diode multipliers. One
is an old Electrophone UHF CB radio which multiplies the crystal
oscillator by 17 (I think, from memory)then uses helical resonators to
filter the desired harmonic. The same approach is used in an old King
aircraft transponder where the 138 MHz crystal is multiplied to 960 MHz
with just a diode and uses the first two stages of an interdigital mixer
to get rid of unwanted harmonics.
So, the question is, which is the better approach? I just want a
reasonably clean signal source to test a 1296 MHz down-converter.
The diode approach seems simpler but is it likely to contain more spurious
signals than a transistor multiplier chain?
Alan
VK2ADB

Here's an interesting simple circuit to generate odd harmonics.
"New Topology Multiplier Generates Odd Harmonics"
http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles1/pdfs/RFDesign2.pdf
Mike

Old May 22nd 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

amdx wrote:

Here's an interesting simple circuit to generate odd harmonics.
"New Topology Multiplier Generates Odd Harmonics"
http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles1/pdfs/RFDesign2.pdf
Mike

Yeah, saw that. Trouble is that I need EVEN harmonics
Anyway, there was some interesting info on snap diodes etc. Makes me
think that the diode used in the gear I have, aren't SRDs as these seem
to be mainly for microwave use. The other info I gleaned was that it's
easier to get low phase noise with straight multiplication than it is
with PLLs. Not that I have an urgent need for low phase noise - but it's
interesting nonetheless.
Alan

Old May 22nd 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , Alan Peake
writes

amdx wrote:

Here's an interesting simple circuit to generate odd harmonics.
"New Topology Multiplier Generates Odd Harmonics"
http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles1/pdfs/RFDesign2.pdf
Mike

Yeah, saw that. Trouble is that I need EVEN harmonics

If you want EVEN harmonics, then use the 'fullwave rectifier' circuit.
This is essentially identical to what you use to rectify the mains, but
it works at RF. One version is the simple bi-phase circuit, consisting
of a ferrite input transformer (ratio 1 : 1+1) and two rectifying
diodes. An alternative is the fullwave bridge version.

I have used the former with great success to multiply by 2, 4 and even 6
but, of course, you get a lot less with the higher order harmonics.
Also, the relative suppression of the even harmonics is less.

Anyway, there was some interesting info on snap diodes etc. Makes me
think that the diode used in the gear I have, aren't SRDs as these seem
to be mainly for microwave use.

I did get involved with a comb generator which used a single step
recovery diode, driven at 6, 7 or 8MHz, to generate fairly equal
amplitude harmonics (both odds and evens) to around 600MHz.

The other info I gleaned was that it's easier to get low phase noise
with straight multiplication than it is with PLLs. Not that I have an
urgent need for low phase noise - but it's interesting nonetheless.
Alan

I didn't know that the "New Topology Multiplier Generates Odd Harmonics"
circuit existed. It's every bit as simple as the fullwave rectifier
circuit for generating even harmonic!
--
Ian
Old May 22nd 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 22 May 2008 22:49:01 +1000, Alan Peake
wrote:

Yeah, saw that. Trouble is that I need EVEN harmonics

A push-pull multiplier will suppress most odd harmonics.

Paul OH3LWR

Old May 22nd 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On May 22, 5:49 am, Alan Peake wrote:
amdx wrote:
Here's an interesting simple circuit to generate odd harmonics.
"New Topology Multiplier Generates Odd Harmonics"
http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles1/pdfs/RFDesign2.pdf
Mike

Yeah, saw that. Trouble is that I need EVEN harmonics
Anyway, there was some interesting info on snap diodes etc. Makes me
think that the diode used in the gear I have, aren't SRDs as these seem
to be mainly for microwave use. The other info I gleaned was that it's
easier to get low phase noise with straight multiplication than it is
with PLLs. Not that I have an urgent need for low phase noise - but it's
interesting nonetheless.
Alan

Huh? I thought you wanted to multiply by 18. 18 = 3 * 3 * 2.

If you were specific about what you want to do with the output, I
missed it. If it's just low-level stuff (e.g., a signal to feed into
the receiver input), you don't need much power and the multiplier can
be very inefficient and still do what you want. As you note, phase
noise will be better (possibly much better) than other ways of doing
it, and it could be that the signal level will be a lot closer to what
you want. You'll have to shield things pretty carefully to get down
to microvolt levels from a PLL or other full-blown oscillator on
1.2GHz. There might already be enough 18th harmonic in the oscillator
output to do what you need. I have some little very fast CMOS single
gate chips that have square enough edges (under half a nanosecond rise
time, unloaded) to generate quite a bit of harmonic content up that
high. Though a PLL would work fine, you then need a way to set up the
PLL chip, assuming you use one of the readily available programmable
ones. I know for me, I could hack a decent analog multiplier with
filters a lot quicker than I could a decent synthesizer. I had to do
a x9 not long ago, and used a multiplication scheme. Also, I've seen
small crystal oscillator modules from two different vendors that used
a PLL to lock a 100MHz crystal to a lower frequency reference, and
then used analog multiplication up to several times 100MHz--they are
doing it for low phase noise.

Cheers,
Tom

Old May 23rd 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

K7ITM wrote:

Yeah, saw that. Trouble is that I need EVEN harmonics

Huh? I thought you wanted to multiply by 18. 18 = 3 * 3 * 2.

Quite right. 18 is an even harmonic of course but I forgot about the
3*3*2 bit

If you were specific about what you want to do with the output, I
missed it.

It's to test a 1296 down-converter basically but will try a CW
transmitter later so a bit of grunt wouldn't go astray.

..... There might already be enough 18th harmonic in the oscillator
output to do what you need.

Could be. AT the moment I have a 2N5485 as the osc and a 2N918 as a
doubler but the 2N918 runs out of puff well before 1296MHz. I have some
BFR91s so I might put them into use.

Cheers,
Tom

73 de Alan

Old May 23rd 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Alan Peake wrote:

K7ITM wrote:

Yeah, saw that. Trouble is that I need EVEN harmonics

Huh? I thought you wanted to multiply by 18. 18 = 3 * 3 * 2.

Quite right. 18 is an even harmonic of course but I forgot about the 3*3*2
bit

If you were specific about what you want to do with the output, I
missed it.

It's to test a 1296 down-converter basically but will try a CW transmitter
later so a bit of grunt wouldn't go astray.

But unless you need a signal to tune the converter to the right frequency,
this is quite a bit simpler. So long as the converter is tuned to the
right general frequency, merely something with good harmonics will do.
The fact that they will be attenuated at the desired frequency is not
a bad thing, since you won't want a strong signal for tuning the converter
anyway.

Your original post didn't give an end use, but it was easy to assume
you needed a clean signal for a transmitter of local oscillator injection
in a converter. You don't want unwanted signals there.

But for a signal generator, having extra harmonics isn't really a problem
(unless you can't be sure that your converter is tuned to the right
frequency). The extra harmonics will just be ignored by the converter's
tuned circuits.

There was a time when a lot of cheap signal generators actually used
harmonics for their upper ranges.

Michael VE2BVW