Old July 2nd 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default VoiceMax Speech Processor...

Appropriately, a CB radio, illegally modified. Only a CBer would fall for this
"Speech Processor."

Yes, VoiceMax is selling well. We are unable to keep up with the
demand at this time. These units are back-ordered until late August08.

Old July 2nd 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
Appropriately, a CB radio, illegally modified. Only a CBer would fall for
this
"Speech Processor."

Yes, VoiceMax is selling well. We are unable to keep up with the
demand at this time. These units are back-ordered until late August08.

sound more like the garbage that fell off of the BACK of the animal while it
was taking a CRAP. OH - wait a minute - "back-ordered" - that is the
convention that you go out and turn-around and order something?

Old July 3rd 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Telstar Electronics wrote:
Appropriately, a CB radio, illegally modified. Only a CBer would fall for this
"Speech Processor."

Yes, VoiceMax is selling well. We are unable to keep up with the
demand at this time. These units are back-ordered until late August08.

Just another example of how many morons are passing the so-called "exams" these
days.
Old July 7th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jul 2, 9:41*am, "Channel Cop" wrote:
sound more like the garbage that fell off of the BACK of the animal while it
was taking a CRAP. *OH - wait a minute - "back-ordered" - that is the
convention that you go out and turn-around and order something?

Thanks for your comment. In regard to your email... more VoiceMax
modules will be available earlier than expected... around August 1st.
We should have a few left after the back-orders are sent out.

www.telstar-electronics.com
Old July 30th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tom Tom is offline

On Jun 12, 11:35*am, Telstar Electronics
wrote:
As I said. "Obviously they have to contain 'all the works' (oscillator,
balanced modulator, compressor, clipper, filters, balanced demodulator
etc)."

That sounds very complex and expensive all right.
Another problem I see is that they only work on SSB.
My customers insist on something small that fits inside the radio and
processes in all modes. The VoiceMax does that with less than 1% THD.
Can't build them fast enough to keep them in stock...

DF4ZS developed a RF speech clipper that fits into the Yaesu MH-31
microphone shell. This mic is used with the popular, tiny FT-817
transceiver along with others and in all speech modes. His clipper has
a SSB IF.

Details: http://jwm.de/afu/0ft817eng.htm
Reviews: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2732 (6)

There are no reviews of the VoiceMax on eham.net while there are 21 of
the W4RT Electronics "One Big Punch" which uses a similar IC and can
be installed either in the MH-31 or inside the case of the FT-817 et
al.

DF4ZS also makes an outboard RF Clipper with adjustable a.f.
compression and integrated noise gate.

If you don't mind tying up a computer to do your speech processing,
VE3NEA developed freeware to work with a soundcard between the mic and
the transmitter that functions as bandpass filter, 7-band equalizer,
noise gate, compressor, and RF envelope clipper. http://www.dxatlas.com/VShaper/

Old July 30th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jul 29, 10:14*pm, Tom wrote:
DF4ZS developed a RF speech clipper that fits into the Yaesu MH-31
microphone shell. This mic is used with the popular, tiny FT-817
transceiver along with others and in all speech modes. His clipper has
a SSB IF.

Details:http://jwm.de/afu/0ft817eng.htm
Reviews:http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2732(6)

There are no reviews of the VoiceMax on eham.net while there are 21 of
the W4RT Electronics "One Big Punch" which uses a similar IC and can
be installed either in the MH-31 or inside the case of the FT-817 et
al.

DF4ZS also makes an outboard RF Clipper with adjustable a.f.
compression and integrated noise gate.

This DF4ZS is a clipping type processor... nothing like the VoiceMax
audio compressor. You are correct, Since VoiceMax is a new product and
there are only about 150 units in use worldwide... so far there are no
reviews on Eham. Thanks for your interesting comments.
www.telstar-electronics.com
Old July 31st 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message This
DF4ZS is a clipping type processor... nothing like the VoiceMax
audio compressor.

That is true. SSB RF clipping is proven to deliver an honest 6 dB
improvement.

Old September 10th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sep 10, 2:21*pm, Steve wrote:
Fred wrote:
[Default] On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:09:10 -0700 (PDT), in rec.radio.cb
you wrote:

Wow, guess it must really suck to be Steve, or anyone who agrees with
him on the Morse code issue. Or you.

yes he was calling to make the license more complex at a time when the
FCCmade it clear it wanted and was going to have a simpler licensing
scheme

Yeah, it is a shame that they made it too easy to get a ticket and now
we have ****tards like Mark on the air.

This is the most accurate post in rrcb today so far. I set filters for
marks posts, none of them are worth reading anyway. He has destroyed rrap
so bad that group isn't even worth opening anymore. Think the stupid ****
would at least use a spell check, but that's probably above his pay scale..

Perhaps that is his mission, to destroy Usenet text groups. Plonk him and
leave him to talk to himself.

73
Steve.

fred and his freinds can't ignore me sinc ethey have mental illnesses
that make em afraid to even allow exist in the same NG
Old September 17th 08, 08:15 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar Electronics View Post
VoiceMax is really gaining momentum!
Radio operators all over the world are enjoying the Voicemax
advantage.
Since VoiceMax doesn't use audio "clipping"... your audio is loud AND
clear.
What a concept!

See what VoiceMax can do for you at http://www.telstar-electronics.com/voicemax.htm
Well, I went and looked. Pocket your money. It's just an Analog Devices SSM2166 ($3.00) cell phone microphone processor chip with $2 of added parts. This chip is not designed for the kind of benefit Telstar claims, but instead, just equalizes a mic output level to avoid overloading an A/D converter. I built up a processor using one, and you only sound louder if you're already pretty loud to begin with. It won't help you get heard better if you're weak. This is traditional for all compression-based processors. Good if you're an AM broadcaster and want to sound LOUD (as the Wikipedia article on audio compression says), but not useful if you're weak signal.

RF clipping is far more effective. It's been used in long distance phone calls for nearly 100 years and you never thought of them as being distorted, did you?

It can be done completely external: create an SSB signal, clip it, then demodulate back to audio. The whole thing goes between your mic and the radio's mic jack.

Past examples that were very good are the Drake SP-75, Ten-Tec 234, and Datong RFC. A Google search for any of them will get you the schematic and most can be built for less parts cost than this Telstar thing.

I am aware of only one that is presently available, by DF4ZS, but the audio samples on his website demonstrate that he's got his design wrong, as it's loaded with audio, not RF clipping. Maybe you can buy one of those, and fix the problem...it needs more dynamic range in the audio section.
Old August 2nd 09, 12:14 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar Electronics View Post
Appropriately, a CB radio, illegally modified. Only a CBer would fall for this
"Speech Processor."

Yes, VoiceMax is selling well. We are unable to keep up with the
demand at this time. These units are back-ordered until late August08.
I bought a VoiceMax to see what it was all about, set it up per the instructions, and it did what it said on the tin, loud, clear audio.
The noise gate was useful in the mobile, being very effective at reducing road noise. This little device is extremely well built and works well within its design limits, being great for long winded local qso, the audio being very easy to listen to hour after hour. That said, it it is no match for any of the quality RF clippers mentioned, in a DX environment, nor was it ever intended to be.
It would be interesting if Telstar Electronics would produce a dedicated RF clipper and satisfy this end of the market, apart from Ten Tec, to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing else out there that works correctly.