Old July 3rd 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Source For Modem Transformers

Hello to all and thanks for reading.

I am seeking info on a source for inexpensive modem transformers for
use in a PSK31 type interface. A few years ago I purchased surplus
ones for less than a dollar a piece, now the only ones I can find are
$3 to $4 a piece.

Any info for these 600 to 600 ohm transformers appreciated.

Howard
Old July 4th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Howie wrote:

Hello to all and thanks for reading.

I am seeking info on a source for inexpensive modem transformers for
use in a PSK31 type interface. A few years ago I purchased surplus
ones for less than a dollar a piece, now the only ones I can find are
$3 to $4 a piece.

Any info for these 600 to 600 ohm transformers appreciated.

Howard

Discarded modems are an obvious source of cheap modem transformers.
Just keep an eye out for computers waiting for the garbage trucks, and
then open them up with the screwdriver you should carry for such
circumstances, and pull out the modem boards. You don't even have
to open them to see if there's a modem, just look for a pair of phone
jacks on the back. A lot of those modems nowadays aren't that much
more than the phone interface, the main CPU doing the work, so there's
no real loss in using such modems to supply the transformers.

Cordless phones are easy to find at garage and rummage sales, for
a dollar or two. All the base units will supply a transformer, though
maybe not as small as the ones in the modems.

Find a surplus outlet that has piles of boards, and that may be a source
if they let the boards go cheap, since you just have to pick out the
modem boards.

Michael VE2BVW

HF modem John Smith Policy 0 August 18th 05 11:00 PM
PIC operated FSK modem [email protected] Homebrew 4 January 21st 05 10:38 PM
PIC operated FSK modem [email protected] General 4 January 21st 05 10:38 PM
FA: Hal DXP-38 HF DSP Modem "NEW" Robert Stuedemann Swap 0 February 27th 04 12:52 AM
SWR will change with Source Z if you measure AT the Source Tarmo Tammaru Antenna 18 August 30th 03 03:18 AM