Old July 21st 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default the great heatsink search

I'm finding that if you're looking for any heatsink that there are
zillions of places to pick one up and that if you are looking for
a particular sink that it is a futile task. With a little help
from my friends, I'm putting together the mosfet amp in the 2006
handbook and I've pretty much secured everything on the parts list save
the heatsink. It is the same unit that was used on the original FARA
amp as well. Anyone have this beast in the junk bin or know of a
purveyor who might?? I've scoured the web and no joy so far. The sink
is an AAVID part (#244609B02). Thanks in advance all.

Gary
ka9rao
Old July 21st 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Pete KE9OA wrote:
Mouser. 532-244609B02

"Gary" wrote in message

I'm finding that if you're looking for any heatsink that there are
zillions of places to pick one up and that if you are looking for
a particular sink that it is a futile task. With a little help
from my friends, I'm putting together the mosfet amp in the 2006 handbook
and I've pretty much secured everything on the parts list save the
heatsink. It is the same unit that was used on the original FARA amp as
well. Anyone have this beast in the junk bin or know of a purveyor who
might?? I've scoured the web and no joy so far. The sink is an AAVID
part (#244609B02). Thanks in advance all.

Gary
ka9rao

Apart from some teflon wire (thanks again Pete), Mouser had most of what
I needed. Unfortunately, they no longer carry said heatsink. Thanks
though. Other ideas ??

Gary

Old July 21st 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

start he

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....N=1323038&No=0

if you know the parameters of the heat sink in question, a search through
these pages on the Mouser website should give you what you need. there are
several pages to go through, so you do have your work cut out for you!

Pete

Old July 21st 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Gary" wrote in message

I'm finding that if you're looking for any heatsink that there are
zillions of places to pick one up and that if you are looking for
a particular sink that it is a futile task. With a little help
from my friends, I'm putting together the mosfet amp in the 2006 handbook
and I've pretty much secured everything on the parts list save the
heatsink. It is the same unit that was used on the original FARA amp as
well. Anyone have this beast in the junk bin or know of a purveyor who
might?? I've scoured the web and no joy so far. The sink is an AAVID
part (#244609B02). Thanks in advance all.

Gary
ka9rao

Thanks for the advice. Mouser very nearly had a replacement. The unit
has horizontal fins instead of vertical and as my application is
convection-only, this likely tips the balance on effectiveness (safety).
Did find another site and it looks like a good one. It's Nebraska Sales
and Surplus. I've purchased from them before and have no complaints.
Thanks again for the quick replies.

Gary

Old July 21st 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Apart from some teflon wire (thanks again Pete), Mouser had most of what
I needed. Unfortunately, they no longer carry said heatsink. Thanks
though. Other ideas ??

Gary

===================================
For large heatsinks (perhaps not precisely the type you need ) flea
markets will be a likely source . Otherwise there might be an
electronics surplus store in your area .
Some time ago someone gave me a clapped-out (probably illegal) CB
amplifier (of Italian origin) with a heat sink to suit your project
.........however I am in Scotland- UK ,otherwise I would be happy to
send it to you .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old July 21st 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Highland Ham wrote:

Apart from some teflon wire (thanks again Pete), Mouser had most of
what I needed. Unfortunately, they no longer carry said heatsink.
Thanks though. Other ideas ??

Gary

===================================
For large heatsinks (perhaps not precisely the type you need ) flea
markets will be a likely source . Otherwise there might be an
electronics surplus store in your area .
Some time ago someone gave me a clapped-out (probably illegal) CB
amplifier (of Italian origin) with a heat sink to suit your project
........however I am in Scotland- UK ,otherwise I would be happy to
send it to you .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Thanks for the thoughts Frank. I would not have guessed this before the
fact but I'm finding that tracking down / scrounging these bits and
pieces is actually fun (I am also sure that there is great probability
that I will rue these words...). Thanks again all.

Gary
Old July 21st 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Gary wrote:

I'm finding that if you're looking for any heatsink that there are
zillions of places to pick one up and that if you are looking for
a particular sink that it is a futile task. With a little help
from my friends, I'm putting together the mosfet amp in the 2006
handbook and I've pretty much secured everything on the parts list save
the heatsink. It is the same unit that was used on the original FARA
amp as well. Anyone have this beast in the junk bin or know of a
purveyor who might?? I've scoured the web and no joy so far. The sink
is an AAVID part (#244609B02). Thanks in advance all.

Gary
ka9rao

Aavid makes so many heat sinks that you almost have to buy custom to get
what you need.

Usually your best bet with heatsinks for a one-off is to find one that
meets your needs and use it, even if it's not identically the same thing
as the plans.

If you can find one with specifications get one that matches the thermal
conductivity to the air as what you have; if you can't get one with
specifications look for about the same or greater total surface area and
fin spacing.

The handbook used to have directions on bending heatsinks from sheet --
you basically make a bunch of nested 'U's with heat sink compound
between. I don't know how well that works, or if they still do it. I
suspect that for natural convection you'll be fine with that.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old July 21st 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Gary wrote:

I'm finding that if you're looking for any heatsink that there are
zillions of places to pick one up and that if you are looking for
a particular sink that it is a futile task. With a little help
from my friends, I'm putting together the mosfet amp in the 2006
handbook and I've pretty much secured everything on the parts list save
the heatsink. It is the same unit that was used on the original FARA
amp as well. Anyone have this beast in the junk bin or know of a
purveyor who might?? I've scoured the web and no joy so far. The sink
is an AAVID part (#244609B02). Thanks in advance all.

Gary
ka9rao

Don't worry about finding the exact, go the next bigger heatsink! You
will not be sorry you did.

While you are at it, consider mounting a muffin fan on the sink to push
air though the ribs (if the plans don't already call for one.) Again,
you won't be sorry you did!

I have not seen the plans you are speaking of, but I am taking it for
granted it is a leen-e-air.

Regards,
JS