Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 10th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Pancake wound Pi coil

All I ever see for Pi coils is cylindrically wound single layer. I
remember when I built my first 6146A output cw transmitter back 40 yrs
ago, I used a B&W pre made coil for the Pi.

Depending on the Q and plate resistance you see coils for multi band
use up to 33 uh, in transmitters.

The only place I see pancake coils used is in Tesla coils, one of
which I built with a pre made 18" tall secondary coil. I wound my own
primary pancake coil.

Done right a pancake coil takes up alot less room than a cylindrically
wound coil.

A six inch diameter pancake coil can have the same inductance as a
three inch diameter by six inch long coil with the same size wire.

Anybody know why I shouldn't use a pancake coil in my final? I just
bought a 4-1000A. from ebay.

73
n8zu

FA: Air Wound Coil 21 John Smith Swap 0 September 29th 05 09:47 PM
FA: Air Wound Coil Number 2 kq4by Swap 0 August 6th 05 03:41 PM
FA: Large Air Wound Coil kq4by Swap 0 April 5th 05 12:15 PM
FA: Air Wound Coil John Smith Swap 0 March 29th 05 05:06 PM
FA: Air Wound Coil.. ga_boneyard Swap 0 July 22nd 03 12:10 AM