Old November 19th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Battery charger

Howdy,

There are a of couple newer devices that you might like
even more than the UC3906. Check out the UC3909
and BQ2031.

All zeners are not created equal! The 1N825 is a common
temperature compensated diode and it's uncommonly good.
Transfer standards built in the 1960's and 70's often
used zeners... and they were good enough by golly. The
venerated Fluke 335D used an ion implanted or burried
zener diode and it's still one of the most stable units
available.

Here's the deal, the battery voltage varies with temperature.
About minus 3 to minus 5 milivolts per degree C. Not very
stable! (However for temperatures between 5C to 35C it can be
safely ignored.)

Now if the circuit is exposed to the same ambient temperature
as the battery and your reference drifts about the same amount
and in the same direction as the battery, it can be only a good
thing.

A true zener has a negative temperature coefficient.
An avalanche diode has a positive temperature coefficient.
The cross over point between the two effects is around 5.6V
A common silicon rectifier diode has a negative 2 milivolts
per degree C coefficient.

It's not difficult to select a couple of parts that when
combined in series will produce the minus 5 milivolts per
degree C desired. A 6.8V zener in series with three 1N4001
running 1 milliamp of bias current is in the ball park.

Honest to god temperature compensated charging requires a
temperature sensor in the battery (thermistor usually)
but it's only needed where you're charging at a rate that
heats the battery or when charging over a very wide range
of ambient.

The above is just my opinion and all that jazz...

73,
Grumpy

Old November 21st 08, 06:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Nov 19, 1:09*pm, Grumpy The Mule wrote:
[...]

I hacked together a 10amp contant current source, actually it tuned
out to be a little les than 9 amps and hooked it up between one of my
100ahr batteries and my shop type battery charger. So far it behaves
as expected. I just hope it does the job as expected.

Jimmie
Old November 22nd 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Nov 19, 1:09*pm, Grumpy The Mule wrote:
Howdy,

There are a of couple newer devices that you might like
even more than the UC3906. *Check out the UC3909
and BQ2031.
73,
Grumpy

Yes indeed the 3909 is a switch mode version of the 3906 and the
BQ2031 is a pulsed version. The 3906 uses a constant current source
and I used 10 amp and mine turned out to be like 9 amps in real life,
I forgot how many feet of 14AWG wire I used for the 10 map sense. Some
say pulsed or pwm is the way to go. Maximizing the PWM to fast charge
a battery would be advantageous. I think that's what they are using in
the hybrid cars.

73 OM
n8zu

TH-D7 battery charger flashes red -- bad battery? Jack Twilley General 2 December 6th 17 05:14 PM
Battery charger needs Rich Swap 2 October 21st 08 05:19 PM
FA: KENWOOD KSC-8A CHARGER-NEW PB-36 BATTERY-TH-235+others RICH-WA2RQY Equipment 0 February 22nd 05 03:58 PM
three stage battery charger David Carrick Homebrew 2 June 12th 04 03:55 AM
TH-D7 battery charger flashes red -- bad battery? Jack Twilley General 0 September 12th 03 07:12 AM