Old December 25th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Directly heated tube, cathode bias

I'm a little confused again.

Setting up a 1624 tube for cathode biasing and also need to create a
center tap for keying to ground.

The book says 610 ohms at my voltage. So would I use a pair of 1200 ohm
resistors in this case?

My logic is since there is not a separate cathode then the two R in
parallel would raise the filament 'cathode' 600 ohms above B-minus.

TIA and Merry Christmas,

Bill
Old December 25th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bill M wrote:
I'm a little confused again.

Setting up a 1624 tube for cathode biasing and also need to create a
center tap for keying to ground.

The book says 610 ohms at my voltage. So would I use a pair of 1200 ohm
resistors in this case?

My logic is since there is not a separate cathode then the two R in
parallel would raise the filament 'cathode' 600 ohms above B-minus.

TIA and Merry Christmas,

Bill

(Disclaimer -- I haven't done this. It's just knowledge gotten from
lots of books, and lots of solid-state circuit design experience).

No, because all the filament voltage will go to mildly heating up the
resistors, and none will go to wildly heating up the filament.

Use a center-tapped filament transformer, and put the 600 ohm resistor
between its center tap and ground. If necessary, use a separate
transformer just for the 1624s.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old December 25th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bill M wrote:
I'm a little confused again.

Setting up a 1624 tube for cathode biasing and also need to create a
center tap for keying to ground.

The book says 610 ohms at my voltage. So would I use a pair of 1200 ohm
resistors in this case?

My logic is since there is not a separate cathode then the two R in
parallel would raise the filament 'cathode' 600 ohms above B-minus.

TIA and Merry Christmas,

Bill

If the tube filament is running on AC then a resistor from the
transformer winding center tap to ground would do the job. If the
filament winding isn't center tapped, then two resistors form the center
tap. Usually two low ohm resistors (say 22 ohms) are used with a third
resistor to ground for the cathode bias from the junction of the two
resistors.
You could just use two larger resistors as you suggest, but in the case
of an audio amplifier how would you bypass it with a capacitor? (use TWO
capacitors).

If the tube filament is running on AC then the problem is compounded
since you might not be able to isolate the filament supply from ground.
Guess battery operated radios used C batteries.
Old December 25th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim Wescott wrote:
Bill M wrote:
[...]

If his un-centertapped filament winding is ONLY supplying that one tube
and he has each leg going to ground through a 1200 ohm resistor that
would result in a 600 ohm connection to ground. So it should work.
Remember that's 2400 ohms across the filament, it won't suck up much
heater current at all.
Old December 25th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Bill M" wrote in message
I'm a little confused again.

Setting up a 1624 tube for cathode biasing and also need to create a
center tap for keying to ground.

The book says 610 ohms at my voltage. So would I use a pair of 1200 ohm
resistors in this case?

Correct, both resistors would essentially be in parallel, and from
the hot cathode to ground. Using two resistors would help
balance out the 60 cycle hum as an added benefit, which is
what I assume you're trying to accomplish.

Pete

Old December 25th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Dec 24, 8:58 pm, Bill M wrote:
I'm a little confused again.

Setting up a 1624 tube for cathode biasing and also need to create a
center tap for keying to ground.

The book says 610 ohms at my voltage. So would I use a pair of 1200 ohm
resistors in this case?

My logic is since there is not a separate cathode then the two R in
parallel would raise the filament 'cathode' 600 ohms above B-minus.

TIA and Merry Christmas,

Bill

hey OM:

Exactly and you will need at least 10 watts of resistors to be safe.
Because they also will have to handle plate, grid1, grid2, and the
current they draw across the filament. I suppose if they where wire
wound like 25 watt you could stick a ferrite rod in their hole and
make them your filament chokes also. But if you use carbon comp
resistors then part of your drive will go heating those resistors, so
not much gain going on there.

73 OM
n8zu
Old December 25th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Dec 25, 12:46 pm, raypsi wrote:
On Dec 24, 8:58 pm, Bill M wrote:

[...]

Well they ain't filament chokes, but in the drive circuit the drive
signal won't go to heating them up if they are chokes. So they will
only be taking about 1 mil of current from the filament circuit.

73
n8zu
Old December 25th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Dec 24, 8:58 pm, Bill M wrote:

[...]

One possible problem. If this is an RF amplifier circuit you probably
want to use NON-INDUCTIVE resistors in the circuit or they WILL act as
chokes!
Old December 25th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 11:03:48 -0500, ken scharf wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
Bill M wrote:
[...]

Sorry. I was visualizing the 1200 ohms each in series with the
transformer, whose center tap is grounded.

Of course the alternate way makes perfect sense.

And here it is too late to ask Santa for more brains for Christmas.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old December 26th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"ken scharf" wrote in message
.. .
On Dec 24, 8:58 pm, Bill M wrote:

[...]

Would that make a difference? I'd also assume there's two RF cathode
bypass caps in there; otherwise the circuit would be extremely
degenerative.

Pete

FS: Old B&K model 440 Cathode Rejuvenator Tester (CRT) Al Schapira Boatanchors 0 April 20th 05 06:59 PM
Cathode Ray Tubes mrhaney Homebrew 1 December 12th 04 04:04 AM
recording spots directly on cd? Foxsrus1 Broadcasting 7 February 8th 04 12:55 AM
443a cold cathode tube [email protected] Homebrew 0 December 1st 03 04:03 AM
443a cold cathode tube [email protected] Homebrew 0 December 1st 03 04:03 AM