Old March 17th 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Nuvistor TV preamp mod

I have 3 mast mounted nuvistor pre amps less power supplies. I was
looking for information on these to convert them to use on the 6 and 2
meter and 70cm ham bands. I may still have a power supply around but
as of yet I havent been able to find it. The pre amps are mount in a
somewhat egg shaped plastic container with twin lead connections on
them. Im not sure of the manufacturer. Schematics on the amplifiers
and power supplies would be nice. Directions on doing the mod would be
great. There are plans for ham band nuvistor preamps around so if I
could figure out what I have it shouldnt be that difficult to conver
it to what I want. Besides that it will give me something to do with
these old 6cw4s.

Jimmie
Old March 19th 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
I have 3 mast mounted nuvistor pre amps less power supplies. I was
looking for information on these to convert them to use on the 6 and 2
meter and 70cm ham bands. I may still have a power supply around but
as of yet I havent been able to find it. The pre amps are mount in a
somewhat egg shaped plastic container with twin lead connections on
them. Im not sure of the manufacturer. Schematics on the amplifiers
and power supplies would be nice. Directions on doing the mod would be
great. There are plans for ham band nuvistor preamps around so if I
could figure out what I have it shouldnt be that difficult to conver
it to what I want. Besides that it will give me something to do with
these old 6cw4s.

Jimmie

You would do good to find a 70's or earlier ARRL handbook. There were
many articles about Nuvistors.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo ;-P
Old March 19th 09, 12:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 18, 10:50*pm, RFI-EMI-GUY wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

I used to have access to the handbooks of the 60s and early 70s. I
thought those were some of the best years. Im always on the lookout
for some but it seems a lot of other people share my opinion and dont
want to part with them.

Jimmie
Old March 20th 09, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Hey OM:

Really though sounds like you have low and high band VHF wideband
preamps for maybe TV use. The low band being 54 to 88 MHz and the
high band is 174 MHz to 230 MHz. So 6 and 2 meters is doable.

I don't know if you could squeeze UHF out of them, 6cw4s' input C is
way to high.
In tube TV's they used 6af4's for the UHF band half the input C of a
6cw4. And even that was a oscillator not a preamp.

73 OM

de n8zu
Old March 20th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

They aren't that hard to find :-). The early-mid-60's handbooks would
be your best bet for finding Nuvistor construction articles.

But what you really want is to look up the 60's QST articles on
Nuvistor based preamps:

Sep 1960: Nuvistor as an RF Amplifier at 144 Mc
Jan 1961: K1IJB Nuvistor Preamplifier
Aug 1961: Nuvistor Preamplifiers for 50 and 144 Mc
Jul 1962: Nuvistor Converter for 220 Mc
Jul 1962: Improving Performance of Nuvistor 144 Mc converters
Aug 1962: Using the QST Nuvistor Converters with Amateur-Bands only
receivers
Jan 1963: An All-Nuvistor Convertor for 420 Mc
Apr 1963: Two Nuvistor Converters for 220 Mc
May 1963: Nuvistor Goes Mobile on 50 Mc

If you get the impression that early 60's was the peak for Nuvistor
usage, you'd be about right. The August 61 article is IMHO the
definitive one on preamp usage.

For using a TV preamp, all you'd want to do is remove any traps that
get rid of the ham bands. But you'd do much better with tuned input
circuit for only the ham band of interest.

You can download all the above for free from the ARRL if you log in
with your member ID. With all the old QST's available on the web,
everyone ought to be a member!

Tim N3QE

Old March 20th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

de n8zu- Hide quoted text -

6cw4s may not be what is in the amps but I do have a few and a few
others. I thik the 6cw4s were something I bought for a project and the
others are left over from when I worked on TVs back in the early 70s.
They are probably the right kind. Im pretty sure I kept these preamps
because they worked because at one time I had a bushel of them most of
which had a fair amount of lightning damage.

Jimmie
Old March 21st 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message news:426c859e-943c
You can download all the above for free from the ARRL if you log in
with your member ID. With all the old QST's available on the web,
everyone ought to be a member!

Tim N3QE

I'll join the ARRL the day I can choose QEX over the QST
forced subscription that comes with the membership.

Pete k1zjh

Old March 21st 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Unca Pete" writes:

I'll join the ARRL the day I can choose QEX over the QST
forced subscription that comes with the membership.

Pete k1zjh

Have you ever thought of JOINING ARRL, and using your position as
a member to petition for this change?

Change is made by those who participate.

--N1GAK
Old March 21st 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

================================================= =====================

Have you ever thought of JOINING ARRL, and using your position as
a member to petition for this change?

Change is made by those who participate.

--N1GAK
===============================
Agree with that ,although ARRL members should have a choice.
If they prefer QEX over QST they should have that option.
ARRL news is sent weekly by e-mail upon request .Moreover, members can
access QST articles via the ARRL web site, and also can access QEX articles.

Living in the UK I have opted for the annual CD-ROM ,which is published
in March ,including QST , QEX and the Contest Mag. covering the past
calendar year ,which suits me fine.
However I believe this option is not available to US residents .
Perhaps something to go for.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old March 21st 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Lawrence Statton" wrote in message
"Unca Pete" writes:
Have you ever thought of JOINING ARRL, and using your position as

a member to petition for this change?

Change is made by those who participate.

--N1GAK

The name of the game is $$$$$.

They'd lose advertising revenues if folks were given the
choice. I vote with my WALLET; and I let them know it.
QST has been dumbed down to meet the needs of the
new 2x1 callsign holders--the ones who can't figure the
out how make a dipole or solder a PL-259. And the
fact they destroyed the competition (Communications
Quarterly) doesn't sit well with many of us.

Pete k1zjh

Preamp, RF amp and LNA. sjones Homebrew 2 October 22nd 06 12:07 PM
Preamp Asimov Homebrew 8 October 3rd 05 06:50 PM
OR:Nuvistor plate(anode) voltage [email protected] Shortwave 5 April 29th 05 04:59 AM
FA: Ameco PCL-P Nuvistor Cascade Preamp Doc Swap 0 June 14th 04 02:31 AM
Ant Preamp AW-203-1 ? Henry Kolesnik Shortwave 0 May 23rd 04 09:31 PM