Old April 20th 09, 05:50 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default If Superheterodyne, why not Subheterodyne?

A terminology question I suppose about the derivation of the term
"Superheterodyne" more than anything else:

Does the "Super" actually mean anything? Is there a Subheterodyne?

Traditionally superhets mix a higher radio frequency down to a lower
IF frequency, but certainly in the past few decades radios with IF's
above the RF frequency have become very common in broadband
applications, and those are still called superhets, not subhets :-).

Google turns up a couple hits on subheterodyne but other than one that
might mean "IF higher in frequency than RF" I don't recognize what
they mean..

I suspect that "Super" was more a marketing term than anything
else :-).

Tim N3QE
Old April 20th 09, 06:01 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In

Tim Shoppa wrote:

A terminology question I suppose about the derivation of the term
"Superheterodyne" more than anything else:

Does the "Super" actually mean anything?

My recollection is that Armstrong used the term "supersonic heterodyne"
to note the fact that the beat frequency between the signal and LO
was "supersonic."

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old April 20th 09, 06:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Apr 20, 5:50 pm, Tim Shoppa wrote:
A terminology question I suppose about the derivation of the term
"Superheterodyne" more than anything else:

Does the "Super" actually mean anything? Is there a Subheterodyne?
Traditionally superhets mix a higher radio frequency down to a lower
IF frequency, but certainly in the past few decades radios with IF's
above the RF frequency have become very common in broadband
applications, and those are still called superhets, not subhets :-).
Google turns up a couple hits on subheterodyne but other than one that
might mean "IF higher in frequency than RF" I don't recognize what
they mean..

A superheterodyne can be Supradyne or Infradyne,
depending of the IF against the RF.

I suspect that "Super" was more a marketing term than anything
else :-).

I don't superthink so.
Old April 20th 09, 06:10 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:50:05 -0700 (PDT), Tim Shoppa
wrote:

A terminology question I suppose about the derivation of the term
"Superheterodyne" more than anything else:

Does the "Super" actually mean anything? Is there a Subheterodyne?

Traditionally superhets mix a higher radio frequency down to a lower
IF frequency, but certainly in the past few decades radios with IF's
above the RF frequency have become very common in broadband
applications, and those are still called superhets, not subhets :-).

Google turns up a couple hits on subheterodyne but other than one that
might mean "IF higher in frequency than RF" I don't recognize what
they mean..

I suspect that "Super" was more a marketing term than anything
else :-).

Tim N3QE

Supersonic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheterodyne_receiver

John

Old April 20th 09, 08:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:
A terminology question I suppose about the derivation of the term
"Superheterodyne" more than anything else:

Does the "Super" actually mean anything? Is there a Subheterodyne?

Traditionally superhets mix a higher radio frequency down to a lower
IF frequency, but certainly in the past few decades radios with IF's
above the RF frequency have become very common in broadband
applications, and those are still called superhets, not subhets :-).

Google turns up a couple hits on subheterodyne but other than one that
might mean "IF higher in frequency than RF" I don't recognize what
they mean..

I suspect that "Super" was more a marketing term than anything
else :-).

Tim N3QE

Supersonic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheterodyne_receiver

I saw that in Wikipedia too. I didn't believe it, it doesn't make
sense. Why not just call all radio frequencies and IF frequencies
above 20kHz "supersonic"? Then all radios (*) are supersonic, and
we're back to super meaning nothing at all.

(*) OK, I know about lowfers and there is submarine RF communication
below 20kHz. If I listen in to that with a superhet is it then really
a subhet?

Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Bart and Homer are arguing
about something, and Bart parrots what Wikipedia says on the subject.
Homer says in a deep resentful voice "We'll fix THAT when we get
home!"

Tim.

Old April 20th 09, 08:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim Shoppa wrote:
A terminology question I suppose about the derivation of the term
"Superheterodyne" more than anything else:

Does the "Super" actually mean anything? Is there a Subheterodyne?

Traditionally superhets mix a higher radio frequency down to a lower
IF frequency, but certainly in the past few decades radios with IF's
above the RF frequency have become very common in broadband
applications, and those are still called superhets, not subhets :-).

Google turns up a couple hits on subheterodyne but other than one that
might mean "IF higher in frequency than RF" I don't recognize what
they mean..

I suspect that "Super" was more a marketing term than anything
else :-).

If you want to file a new patent for old stuff you could try
subheterodyne and it just might sail through :-)

Oh wait, call it hyperheterodyne, has more glitz. Just like the
supermercados in Spain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Old April 20th 09, 08:44 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:23:53 -0700 (PDT), Tim Shoppa
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Possibly because heterodyne receivers mixed to sonic frequencies.

John

Old April 20th 09, 08:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:36:12 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

I think we're going to be doing a superhet receiver soon. Maybe we'll
do it in an FPGA!

John

Old April 20th 09, 08:46 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim Shoppa wrote:
A terminology question I suppose about the derivation of the term
"Superheterodyne" more than anything else:

Does the "Super" actually mean anything? Is there a Subheterodyne?

Traditionally superhets mix a higher radio frequency down to a lower
IF frequency, but certainly in the past few decades radios with IF's
above the RF frequency have become very common in broadband
applications, and those are still called superhets, not subhets :-).

Google turns up a couple hits on subheterodyne but other than one that
might mean "IF higher in frequency than RF" I don't recognize what
they mean..

======================
Many of not most modern HF receivers have a first IF in the 45-75 MHz range.

I suspect that "Super" was more a marketing term than anything
else :-).

Tim N3QE

frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old April 20th 09, 08:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

I meant hypermercados :-)

I think we're going to be doing a superhet receiver soon. Maybe we'll
do it in an FPGA!

How'd you do the preamp in there?