Old June 8th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Astron Power supply mod

I have been considerring modify an Astron 30 amp power supply to work
at 26 volts. I was thinking maybe I could do this by changing the half
bridge rectifier to a full bridge unit. Replacing the caps and
modifying the regulator circuit. I want to use the power supply to
power some 24 volt equipment and also maintain the charge on a 24 volt
100 amp/hr battery. I shamefully admit that I havent done much
research on doing this but was hoping someone else already had and
could save me some work.

Jimmie
Old June 8th 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Jun 7, 11:19*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
I have been considerring modify an Astron 30 amp power supply to work
at 26 volts. I was thinking maybe I could do this by changing the half
bridge rectifier to a full bridge unit. Replacing the caps and
modifying the regulator circuit. I want to use the power supply to
power some 24 volt equipment and also maintain the charge on a 24 volt
100 amp/hr battery. I shamefully admit that I havent done much
research on doing this but was hoping someone else already had and
could save me some work.

Jimmie

oops, now I see why that wont work. I guess I am going to have to do
this from scratch

Jimmie
Old June 8th 09, 11:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

oops, now I see why that wont work. I guess I am going to have to do
this from scratch

Jimmie

Well OM:

Maybe and maybe not.

A battery charger IC would be a lot better than a regulator, like a
MAX713, which is for NiMh batteries, or the UC3906.
So if that's from scratch I guess you are right.

73 OM
de n8zu
Old June 8th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Sounds like a lot of work. Have you considered buying another Astron supply
and operating them in series?

Astron supplies can be used in series (double the voltage) and some in
parallel (like the PS-50, double the current).
--
-larry
K8UT

Old June 8th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"raypsi" wrote in message

oops, now I see why that wont work. I guess I am going to have to do
this from scratch

Jimmie

Well OM:

Maybe and maybe not.

A battery charger IC would be a lot better than a regulator, like a
MAX713, which is for NiMh batteries, or the UC3906.
So if that's from scratch I guess you are right.

73 OM
de n8zu

You can likely bypass the entire regulator and pick off 25 v raw from the
filter bank. First thing to do would be to get the schematic. You would
start by removing the regulator/crowbar anyway and swap in a perf board. I
don't know what the voltage rating is on the filter bank though. Schematics
are one page simple and out there on the Net. There are some other mods
out there with descriptions. It is just a 723 comparator.