Old August 9th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Need data sheet for 811 tube

Does anybody have a link to a scan of an old data sheet for the 811 (NOT
811A) tube? All I seem to find are 811A spec's. I have the two line
blub on the older 811 in an old ARRL HB, but I'd like to get the
complete spec sheet. This tube existed in the gap between the TT3 and
TT4 tube manuals so I can't find it.
Old August 9th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Kenneth Scharf" schreef in bericht
Does anybody have a link to a scan of an old data sheet for the 811 (NOT
811A) tube? All I seem to find are 811A spec's. I have the two line
blub on the older 811 in an old ARRL HB, but I'd like to get the
complete spec sheet. This tube existed in the gap between the TT3 and
TT4 tube manuals so I can't find it.

Here we go:
http://sarris.info/main/files/SV811-10.pdf

Regards and 73

Carel
PA3DZI / OM

Old August 9th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

C.Tuinder wrote:
"Kenneth Scharf" schreef in bericht
Does anybody have a link to a scan of an old data sheet for the 811 (NOT
811A) tube? All I seem to find are 811A spec's. I have the two line
blub on the older 811 in an old ARRL HB, but I'd like to get the
complete spec sheet. This tube existed in the gap between the TT3 and
TT4 tube manuals so I can't find it.

Here we go:
http://sarris.info/main/files/SV811-10.pdf

Regards and 73

Carel
PA3DZI / OM

Thanks, but that's NOT it.
This link goes to the Svetlana sv811-10 which is NOT the same as the
ORIGINAL RCA 811 transmitting tube. Svetlana had no right to call this
bottle an 811 as it does NOT have the plate cap, is NOT a transmitting
tube, and has a mu of 10 not 160!
This is a nice AUDIO tube, more of a replacement for the 300B than an 811!

Old August 10th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Aug 9, 6:46*pm, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
* *This link goes to the Svetlana sv811-10 which is NOT the same as the
ORIGINAL RCA 811 transmitting tube. *Svetlana had no right to call this
bottle an 811 as it does NOT have the plate cap, is NOT a transmitting
tube, and has a mu of 10 not 160!
This is a nice AUDIO tube, more of a replacement for the 300B than an 811!

Actually, the 811 was sold by RCA as the "audio tube"; they sold the
similar but not identical 812 as the RF tube. The beauty of the 811 as
a push-pull class B modulator is the low parts count and you don't
need any bias supply.

It was only in the 1950's with the advent of SSB that the simplicity
and excellent characteristics of the zero bias triode became clear in
RF linear amplifier service. Before that everyone ran all their RF
stages in class C for efficiency. It was the 30L1 in 1960, and some
hams experimenting with zero bias in the 50's, that placed the 811A in
the RF tube category. RCA of course was more than happy to sell the
tubes for whatever purpose :-).

Oh, here's a 811 (non-A) datasheet from HB3:
http://www.pmillett.com/tubedata/HB-..._Tubes/811.pdf

Good reading that mentions 811 marketing, and the advent of zero bias
triodes for SSB linears, is in the 1996 QST article: "811A:
Grandfather of the zero bias revolution". It notes that the main
difference between the 811A and the non-A, was the addition of extra
fin area in the 811A to boost dissipation.

Tim.
Old August 15th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

Thanks! That's the one.
While it is true that the 811 was originally intended for use as an
audio tube in modulators RCA also published spec's on using it as an RF
final. May hams used the same tube type in both places so as to only
keep one tube type for spares. Audiophools today probably search for
812's for use in single ended class A amps.

TRW Data Sheet K1DA General 2 December 16th 09 07:22 AM
D7-200GH CRT Data sheet. Steven Swift Boatanchors 0 December 13th 05 09:37 PM
7213 tube data sheet WB0CTE Homebrew 0 July 8th 04 03:19 PM
MHW 612 "data-sheet" wanted sv1bsx Homebrew 6 June 1st 04 02:52 AM
MHW 612 "data-sheet" wanted sv1bsx Homebrew 0 May 28th 04 06:57 PM