RadioBanter

-   -   jury rigged vhf receiver (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/149361-jury-rigged-vhf-receiver.html)

Tim Wescott January 24th 10 11:21 PM

jury rigged vhf receiver

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:52:14 -0800, JIMMIE wrote:

I was wanting to listen to VHF/UHF SSB. All of my present UHF/VHF radios
are FM. I was thinking of rigging up a simple downconverter using a mini
circuit mixer and my HP signal generator as the local oscilator that I
can connect in front of my HF rig. I have an antenna mounted pre- amp
that I think should suffice for my front end. Any foreseeable problems
short of keying my transmitter while it is connected.

Jimmie

Do let us know what you tried, and how it worked.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

JIMMIE January 25th 10 12:42 AM

jury rigged vhf receiver

On Jan 24, 6:21*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:52:14 -0800, JIMMIE wrote:
I was wanting to listen to VHF/UHF SSB. All of my present UHF/VHF radios
are FM. I was thinking of rigging up a simple downconverter using a mini
circuit mixer and my HP signal generator as the local oscilator that I
can connect in front of my HF rig. I have an antenna mounted pre- amp
that I think should suffice for my front end. Any foreseeable problems
short of keying my transmitter while it is connected.

Jimmie

Do let us know what you tried, and how it worked.

--www.wescottdesign.com

OK where can you get a TUF-1

Jimmie

Scott[_4_] January 25th 10 01:47 AM

jury rigged vhf receiver

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 24, 6:21 pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:52:14 -0800, JIMMIE wrote:
I was wanting to listen to VHF/UHF SSB. All of my present UHF/VHF radios
are FM. I was thinking of rigging up a simple downconverter using a mini
circuit mixer and my HP signal generator as the local oscilator that I
can connect in front of my HF rig. I have an antenna mounted pre- amp
that I think should suffice for my front end. Any foreseeable problems
short of keying my transmitter while it is connected.
Jimmie

Do let us know what you tried, and how it worked.

--www.wescottdesign.com

OK where can you get a TUF-1

Jimmie

Direct from Mini Circuits
http://www.minicircuits.com/cgi-bin/...rch_type=model
or Downeast Microwave in the "components" section
http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/cat-frame.htm

Minicircuits is $7.50 each, Downeast is $18 each. I assume both will
have a shipping charge.

Scott
N0EDV

JIMMIE January 25th 10 02:14 AM

jury rigged vhf receiver

Direct from Mini Circuitshttp://www.minicircuits.com/cgi-bin/modelsearch?model=TUF-1%2B&search...
or Downeast Microwave in the "components" sectionhttp://www.downeastmicrowave.com/cat-frame.htm

Minicircuits is $7.50 each, Downeast is $18 each. *I assume both will
have a shipping charge.

Scott
N0EDV- Hide quoted text -

Thanks I was under the impression the minicircuits has a minimum
order.

Jimmie

Scott[_4_] January 25th 10 03:52 AM

jury rigged vhf receiver

JIMMIE wrote:

Thanks I was under the impression the minicircuits has a minimum
order.

Jimmie

Not that I'm aware of :) I've ordered small quantities from them in the
past....

sorry-spammers January 25th 10 04:29 AM

jury rigged vhf receiver

Scott wrote:
sorry-spammers wrote:
Luckily, almost everyone
around here is within 5KHz of 144.200...

"Lucky" depends on how many locals there are ;) If you have 10 or 20
local weak signal VHFers, it could get a bit messy ;)

Around here, it was in fact lucky.....

(managed an entire 15 QSOs in this weekend's contest, as a rover operation. (admittedly only two grids...))

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Scott[_4_] January 25th 10 11:43 AM

jury rigged vhf receiver

sorry-spammers wrote:

(managed an entire 15 QSOs in this weekend's contest, as a rover
operation. (admittedly only two grids...))

Yes, the bands were kinda flat. Plus, we had RAIN on Saturday and wet
snow on Sunday here in WI (which REALLY sucks)...Sunday brought high SWR
on the 6M antenna so I couldn't use it and didn't hear a peep on 2M.
And with the crummy precip, I had no desire to rove or set up the
portable antennas on 222, 432, 902 or 10 GHz....

JIMMIE January 29th 10 09:07 PM

jury rigged vhf receiver

On Jan 24, 6:21*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:52:14 -0800, JIMMIE wrote:
I was wanting to listen to VHF/UHF SSB. All of my present UHF/VHF radios
are FM. I was thinking of rigging up a simple downconverter using a mini
circuit mixer and my HP signal generator as the local oscilator that I
can connect in front of my HF rig. I have an antenna mounted pre- amp
that I think should suffice for my front end. Any foreseeable problems
short of keying my transmitter while it is connected.

Jimmie

Do let us know what you tried, and how it worked.

--www.wescottdesign.com

UPS delivered the mixer yesterday evening but I didnt get to play with
it until this AM.Im working evenings. I spent about an hour getting it
connected up. There may not have been any SSB activity but I was able
to hear all the usual local 2m repeaters using my HF rig set up for
10M FM.

Setup was as about as simple as it gets. With pre- amp at the antenna,
antenna , receiver and osc was just connected directly to the mixer
with some small coax alledged to be 50 ohms. At this thime I really
cant evaluate it more than that.

Jimmie

Tim Wescott January 30th 10 02:24 AM

jury rigged vhf receiver

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:07:30 -0800, JIMMIE wrote:

On Jan 24, 6:21Â*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

The bands always go dead right when you finish a radio.

Keep us posted.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

JIMMIE January 30th 10 10:41 PM

jury rigged vhf receiver

On Jan 29, 9:24*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

some small coax alleged to be 50 ohms. At this thime I really cant
evaluate it more than that.

The bands always go dead right when you finish a radio.

Keep us posted.

--www.wescottdesign.com

Seems to be overloading a little on strong signals. This is probably
the reason rreal receivers arent quite so simple.

Jimmie