Old February 12th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Microphone needed

I need a microphone for an Icom IC-229H 2m mobile rig. I don't need a
fancy mike, just one with push to talk will be fine. The mic cable
should have a circular female connector with seven pins in an outside
circle and one pin in the center.

I can be reached at 651-426-4144 or

Thanks

Henry WA0GOZ
Old February 13th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Henry wrote:

I need a microphone for an Icom IC-229H 2m mobile rig. I don't need a
fancy mike, just one with push to talk will be fine. The mic cable
should have a circular female connector with seven pins in an outside
circle and one pin in the center.

So you want instructions on how to make one? Get an electret capsule, one
can dig them out of a variety of consumer electronics such as cheap
telephones and cordless phones and 49MHz walkie talkies, likely most FRS
transceivers and cellphones. You can even buy them. Then find a suitable
enclosure. If it's hand held, you want a box that will fit your hand, not
too large. Then find a switch that will be comfortable to operate, a lot
of consumer electronics will offer up circuit board mounted switches that
would be suitable if you figured out a way to mount them and activate
them. Then find a cord and wire it up.

A desk microphone, you'd need to cook up some sort of gooseneck for it,
but you can now even buy "computer microphones" for a few dollars that
have the electret microphone and the gooseneck. Figure out a switch and
wire it all up.

If you are trying to buy a microphone, there are newsgroups for that.
If you were looking for recommendations, there is at least one newsgroup
for that.

Michael VE2BVW

Old February 16th 10, 09:09 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
I need a microphone for an Icom IC-229H 2m mobile rig. I don't need a
fancy mike, just one with push to talk will be fine. The mic cable
should have a circular female connector with seven pins in an outside
circle and one pin in the center.

I can be reached at 651-426-4144 or

Thanks

Henry WA0GOZ

Henry,

If Icom no longer has the appropriate mic, I suggest you try MFJ. Their mics are at: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Search...it=microphones

Robert VE2AGE
Old February 17th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Robert Cherry wrote:
Henry;699617 Wrote:

I need a microphone for an Icom IC-229H 2m mobile rig. I don't need a
fancy mike, just one with push to talk will be fine. The mic cable
should have a circular female connector with seven pins in an outside
circle and one pin in the center.

I can be reached at 651-426-4144 or

Thanks

Henry WA0GOZ

Henry,

If Icom no longer has the appropriate mic, I suggest you try MFJ. Their
mics are at:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Search...it=microphones

Robert VE2AGE

Thanks, but their tech support says their mikes are only for HF radios
and they don't have any for 2M rigs.

Henry
Old February 17th 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Feb 17, 10:30*am, Henry wrote:
Robert Cherry wrote:
Henry;699617 Wrote:

I need a microphone for an Icom IC-229H 2m mobile rig. *I don't need a
fancy mike, just one with push to talk will be fine. *The mic cable
should have a circular female connector with seven pins in an outside
circle and one pin in the center.

I can be reached at 651-426-4144 or

Thanks

Henry *WA0GOZ

Henry,

If Icom no longer has the appropriate mic, I suggest you try MFJ. Their
mics are at:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Search...it=microphones

Robert VE2AGE

Thanks, but their tech support says their mikes are only for HF radios
* and they don't have any for 2M rigs.

Henry

I ve repaired a couple of mikes for the 229. If its the one with the
keypad the little electrolytic caps go bad. It been a while but I
think they were 1uf tantulum.

BTW the mic on my 729 works on my 229

Jimmie

Old February 22nd 10, 05:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Stuart Longland wrote:
C2 is an EMI supression thing... I have gotten away without it on
radio, but I found I got *lots* of complaints when I tried to use a
headset lacking C2 on my Nokia 3310 mobile phone. (I did have C2, but
I had it down near the plug in the phone.) If you take apart a GSM
mobile hands-free kit, you'll see a small chip capacitor soldered on
the back of the electret capsule.

Ah. I've not tried that circuit on VHF, let alone UHF, let alone a phone, but I'm quite familiar with the mess a mobile phone can make of a
microphone signal!

(I work for a TV station. Our newsreaders used to think if they turned off the ringer, they could leave their phones in their pockets while on the
air. Two or three interrupted stories later, they learned to leave their phones in their office....)

On amateur radio, it can't hurt, and can only make your signal better
IMO... I think Heil and other companies do a similar thing for
electret microphones.

What value are you using? (I would suppose something on the order of 500pF would be adequate. I've seen people use rather large values in an attempt
to reduce HF audio response..)

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
Old February 23rd 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Feb 22, 3:31Â*pm, sorry-spammers ""w9wi\"@(sorry-spammers)" wrote:

Ah. Â*I've not tried that circuit on VHF, let alone UHF, let alone a phone, but I'm quite familiar with the mess a mobile phone can make of a
microphone signal!

Yep, strangely the arrangement sans C2 was fine for 70cm doing 4W
FM... but not okay on 900MHz doing ~100mW GSM signalling. The joys of
GMSK at 9600 baud.

(I work for a TV station. Â*Our newsreaders used to think if they turned off the ringer, they could leave their phones in their pockets while on the
air. Â*Two or three interrupted stories later, they learned to leave their phones in their office....)

Hmmm, buzz buzz... "Ohh, sorry about that interruption, that was my
phone." Ooops!

On amateur radio, it can't hurt, and can only make your signal better
IMO... I think Heil and other companies do a similar thing for
electret microphones.

What value are you using? Â*(I would suppose something on the order of 500pF would be adequate. Â*I've seen people use rather large values in an attempt
to reduce HF audio response..)

Usually some nominal value... the doc I linked to recommend a 10nF. I
have no idea what some of them are using, but anywhere between 10nF to
100nF would be sufficient.

If you want to be truly scientific about it, you can pick a frequency
and dimension the capacitor so that Z=1/(jωC) is sufficiently high to
not matter 10kHz and approaching 0Ω at the frequency of interest. I
like the suck-it-and-see approach for this application however. :-)
Old March 26th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Feb 12, 3:50*pm, Henry wrote:
I need a microphone for an Icom IC-229H 2m mobile rig. *I don't need a
fancy mike, just one with push to talk will be fine. *The mic cable
should have a circular female connector with seven pins in an outside
circle and one pin in the center.

I can be reached at 651-426-4144 or

Thanks

Henry *WA0GOZ

Without being a smart aleck, I have 1 question. "Sheesh, can't you get
a junk CB radio mike and find an 8 pin plug?" Surely the manual tells
the mike pinout, in fact I know it does. If you don't have the manual
get it from mods.dk.

"If you give a man a fish, he eats today. If you teach a man to fish,
he eats forever."
Old May 2nd 10, 10:52 AM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
I need a microphone for an Icom IC-229H 2m mobile rig. I don't need a
fancy mike, just one with push to talk will be fine. The mic cable
should have a circular female connector with seven pins in an outside
circle and one pin in the center.

I can be reached at 651-426-4144 or

Thanks

Henry WA0GOZ
A basic mike is relatively easy to configure the wiring to function on non-OEM radios. If your dealing with an 8-pin connector, it may be a little more involved. If you have a copy of the radios' schematic [if not, get one], see what the original pins connect to, inside the mike. Now take a possibly usable mike, and analyze if its' wiring is exactly the same [great if so] or if it can be reconfigured to function with your radio. There is a plethora of 'Microphone Wiring' wiring information on the internet. Quite possibly a mike designed for another transceiver, will be exactly the same as your original, even though by a different manufacturer, etc. Determine what functions the mike has [PTT, up/down, power[voltage + or -] audio line (always a shielded wire). If the mike has DTMF capabilities, the generated tones are 'impressed/injected' upon the audio line, during transmit. If the project is 'over your head', get with members of your local Amateur Radio club, or a TwoWay Radio Service agency, for help.