Old March 26th 10, 10:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Tube socket holes

I was going to start a valve project and wanted to purchase some hole
saws for cutting out the socket holes. What sizes will I need for 7 9
and octal sockets?

Jimmie
Old March 26th 10, 10:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
I was going to start a valve project and wanted to purchase some hole
saws for cutting out the socket holes. What sizes will I need for 7 9
and octal sockets?

I don't remember the sizes, but holes were never sawed for tube sockets.
Instead of using saws, which are very difficult to control and make a mess
of everything, hole punches were used.

The standard brand (at least in the US) was a company called Greenlee,
which a web search says they are still in business. If you do a web search
on "greenlee punch octal socket" or replace octal with tube, you will
find several charts of which sizes to buy and people selling them.

Greenlee punchs are simple to use, you make center hole for the drive bolt.
Being much smaller than the hole you need to cut, it's easier to
make an accurate hole placement. :-)

Then you assemble the punch around the hole and tighten the drive bolt.
It cuts through the chassis accurately and then you take it out, open it
and remove the "plug".

BTW, don't repeat sending your messages. The chance of you ever seeing what
you post, or at least quickly is very small. This is USENET, not a web
forum (no matter what Google wants you to think).

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Old March 26th 10, 11:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I was going to start a valve project and wanted to purchase some hole
saws for cutting out the socket holes. What sizes will I need for 7 9
and octal sockets?

I don't remember the sizes, but holes were never sawed for tube sockets.
Instead of using saws, which are very difficult to control and make a mess
of everything, hole punches were used.

Punches are certainly the way to go if you have some or can borrow some.
Otherwise its kind of expensive to have to go out and buy some for a
one time use.

An alternative is the 'unibit' type of drill bits. They make them large
enough for 7/9 pin sockets. See Harbour Freight.

GL with your project.

-Bill
Old March 26th 10, 12:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

I don't remember the sizes, but holes were never sawed for tube
sockets. Instead of using saws, which are very difficult to control
and make a mess of everything, hole punches were used.

Don't say never :-)

Greenlee chassis punches were much coveted when I was a kid. The
highschool radio club had a few (W3CDI, now apparently defunct), but
they were far too expensive for individuals to own.

I usually had to resort to drilling a hole with the largest bit I had
and then going the rest of the way with a rat-tail file.

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB St. Paul, MN
Old March 26th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In highlandham
wrote:

For larger holes the RatShack nibbling tool is quite effective
,finishing the hole with a 'half round' file.

My Adel Nibbler has a peg of honor on the wall above the workbench.

http://www.adelnibbler.com/

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB St. Paul, MN

Old March 26th 10, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
JIMMIE wrote:
I was going to start a valve project and wanted to purchase some hole
saws for cutting out the socket holes. What sizes will I need for 7 9
and octal sockets?

As I remember, for Octal, it's 1 1/8 inch. I remember because the
only punch I bought was a 1 inch one. ;-(

For the sure thing, try a early '60s ARRL handbook for their suggested
tool list in the construction sections.

(Hmmmm, dig, dig, dig).
From the 1969 handbook, they have 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, and
1 1/2 inch punches in the Recommended Tools list.

Digging out a Newark Catalog from the same era, it looks like 5/8"
for 7 pin, 3/4" for 9 pin, and 1 1/8" for Octal.

Mark Zenier

Old March 28th 10, 10:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 26, 12:15*pm, Bert Hyman wrote:
ighlandham

wrote:
For larger holes the RatShack nibbling tool is quite effective
,finishing the hole with a 'half round' file.

My Adel Nibbler has a peg of honor on the wall above the workbench.

http://www.adelnibbler.com/

--
Bert Hyman * * *W0RSB * St. Paul, MN *

Mine too. But my Dremel tool takes up more and more of its duty.

Jimmie
Old March 28th 10, 10:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 26, 7:08*am, Bill M wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I was going to start a valve project and wanted to purchase some hole
saws for cutting out the socket holes. What sizes will I need for 7 9
and octal sockets?

I don't remember the sizes, but holes were never sawed for tube sockets..
Instead of using saws, which are very difficult to control and make a mess
of everything, hole punches were used.

Punches are certainly the way to go if you have some or can borrow some.
* Otherwise its kind of expensive to have to go out and buy some for a
one time use.

An alternative is the 'unibit' type of drill bits. *They make them large
enough for 7/9 pin sockets. *See Harbour Freight.

GL with your project.

-Bill

Ive tried the Uni-bits. They are OK as long as you don't go 1 step too
far. Unfortunately I have done that a couple of times,

Jimmie
Old March 28th 10, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 26, 7:08 am, Bill M wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

They also have ones now that are not stepped for 'fine tuning' your
holes.

-Bill
Old March 28th 10, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

7 pin mini tube sockets mount in 5/8" holes
9 pin mini tube sockets in a 3/4" hole.
Octal sockets vary, some mount in holes as small as 1", others require
1 1/8" to 1 1/4" holes.

You CAN find drills up to 1" in diameter with 1/2 shafts for use in a
drill press, but they are not cheap. I have a 1" drill that gets used
rarely.

Used Greenlee socket punches up to 1.25" (or larger) can be found on
ebay at reasonable prices. They can be cheaper than a new drill bit of
the same size!

Holes saws which have a drill bit for a pilot hole surrounded by a saw
blade bent into a circle will do a good job if the work is done on a
drill press. They cut well into aluminum or wood, but will dull quickly
into steel. Back the metal to be cut with a scrap block of wood and
clamp the work to the drill press table. Run the drill press at a low
speed (200-500 RPM) and use a little oil for lubrication. I've cut
holes up to 4" diameter into panels for meters and CRT's with these.

Bill M wrote:

Tube socket holes JIMMIE Homebrew 5 March 27th 10 03:07 PM
WTB: Tube socket : Johnson 124-110 al goss Swap 1 March 7th 07 04:21 AM
FA: $10.50 TWO(2) USED(?) RCA 813 RF POWER TUBES w/SOCKET>Big Tube Rich WA2RQY Equipment 0 September 7th 04 02:37 PM
FS/FT: NEW 10kw Tube and socket AL GOSS Swap 1 August 19th 04 12:59 PM