Old July 11th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Looking For MC145106 in UK

On 1/28/2010 10:16 PM, Charlie Carothers wrote:
John W wrote:
Hi,

A small update. I bought the MC145106, gave it to my friend and he is
chuffed to bits.

Thanks again,

73
JOHN
M5AML
www.wells10000.plus.com/m5aml

OK, I just gotta ask. (I sort of collect English idiomatic expressions.)
I looked up chuffed on Dictionary.com and it says:
"Adjective British Informal: annoyed; displeased; disgruntled." It is
also listed as describing the sound of a train, etc.
My obvious question is, if he wanted one, and you bought and gave him
one, why is he "chuffed to bits"?
Or is there some more recent/other definition I don't know about?
EMWTK/IMWTK (Another English/English translation issue I think of
enquiring vs. inquiring.)
Thanks,
Charlie Carothers

Chuffed = pleased, gruntled, thrilled.

Brian W
Old July 12th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

John W wrote:
[...]

My word!!! This exchange evidently occurred 6 months ago! I do recall
overlooking the pertinent definition of chuffed on Dictionary.com. Oh
the mysteries of the internet.

On the other hand, seems like stuff like this started happening once
before and things eventually degraded to the point where I finally had
to reinstall windoze to get everything settled down again...

Later,
Charlie C.
--
To email me, eradicate obfuscate & remove dot invalid.
Old July 12th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 21:46:31 -0500, CSquared wrote:

On the other hand, seems like stuff like this started happening once
before and things eventually degraded to the point where I finally had
to reinstall windoze to get everything settled down again...

One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and
over again with the expectation of producing different results.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Old July 12th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and
over again with the expectation of producing different results.

That was before Jurassic Park came out. Before then only "rock star
mathemticians" had heard of Chaos Theory, afterwards (almost) everyone had.

Geoff.
I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
ignoring it immediately.
Old July 12th 10, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 21:46:31 -0500, CSquared wrote:
On the other hand, seems like stuff like this started happening once
before and things eventually degraded to the point where I finally had
to reinstall windoze to get everything settled down again...

One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and
over again with the expectation of producing different results.

Jonesy

Quite so, but *not* using windoze would probably produce even more
insanity - at least temporarily anyway. :-)
Later,
Charlie C.
--
To email me, eradicate obfuscate & remove dot invalid.