Old December 13th 12, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Wes Hayward hybrid cascode amplifiers from 2007 QST.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:23:35 -0800 (PST), Dana wrote:

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 6:31:35 PM UTC-8, Arid ace wrote:

With so many data sheet archives online, I could have hit the wrong one.

Since the TL026 is a currently-produced part by TI, there's no need to
sift through online archives. Just go to http://www.ti.com/ and look
up the part number.

What remains is the large current consumption - typ. 22 mA.
For the SL612 the typ. value is 3.5 mA.

But what didn't fail to get my attention was the remark "Other
Characteristics Similar to NE592 and uA733".

Fair enough. Of course, the TL026 *isn't* either of those parts,
and the statement suggests to me that the TL026 has input and output
characteristics similar to those non-AGC parts - relatively easy to use.
Nothing at all about internal architecture. Perhaps you're reading
something that isn't in the datasheet at all. Given how cheap the TL026
is, perhaps you might try one instead of an SL612 and see if your
assumption is true.

Cost is a nonissue as is production. Another 30 mA just for the IF amplifier of
a noise blanker is an issue though.

But, seriously, you're quite passionate about the SL612 and
that's a wonderful thing.

Cheers,
Dana K6JQ

No, for the noise blanker it's the best solution. The IF minus impulse noise
will be processed by another no longer available IC, the TCA440. Its mixer and
IF combined have an AGC range of ~100 dB with max input to the mixer, 500 mV
rms, current consumption ~11mA. With the 30 dB AGC range of the 2nd mixer, 120
dB AGC range. That mixer will convert to 25 KHz, a nice value for razor-sharp
notch filters and ideally working (synchronous) demodulators. Why be satisfied
with less when it's so easy to design a radio that functions well with input
signals between 0.1 uV and 100 mV and yet has a low power consumption? ;-)

Jan
Old December 15th 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:18:14 AM UTC-5, clifford wright wrote:
Has anyone else tried these circuits?

I have built 2 examples, a 9 MHZ AGC controlled amplifier and a 20 dB wideband amp for a noise cancelling system.

BIG problems! The diode string in the source of the FET always biases the J310 OFF.

According to the spec sheet curves:
The j310 gets turned off with a bias of 3.7vdc,

Quiescent of 3ma that is called for gets set at 3.3vdc bias.

Meaning the resistor in series with the diodes is going to drop .54vdc at 3ma.

so it is going to fly on the Vdrop of the diodes Vdrop that changes with temp also? Might work in a spice sim but not in real life.

Result, no gain or a loss!!!

It took me an hour or two to twig what was going on. The trouble is that I cannot see how it can possibly work when the gate is referenced to ground. It is equivalent biasing off a valve!

Not only that, but the AGC circuit published at the same time had extreme instability in the front end of the AGC amplifier. I am a VERY experienced electronics person (60 years) and was unable to find any obvious reason for this.

Yeah this is a cascode amplifier, great for eliminating miller effect, and gain that is the gain of the bipolar times the gain of the fet. Another reason they swamp the gate with 2200 ohms with all that gain. well except in your case.

SO Now I have actually began to lose faith in one of my favourite engineers.

Or, have I done something really stupid in my old age.

FYI the circuits were built "dead bug" style with extensive shielding and full decoupling.

Lastly Since they are using diode drops for bias I would have used a TL431 precision and temp compensated regulator, would be alot easier to set that 3ma quiescent current.

73 OM
de n8zu
Old January 28th 13, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Friday, December 14, 2012 4:08:58 PM UTC-8, raypsi wrote:
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:18:14 AM UTC-5, clifford wright wrote:

Has anyone else tried these circuits?

I have built 2 examples, a 9 MHZ AGC controlled amplifier and a 20 dB wideband amp for a noise cancelling system.

BIG problems! The diode string in the source of the FET always biases the J310 OFF.

According to the spec sheet curves:

The j310 gets turned off with a bias of 3.7vdc,

The datasheet for the J310 specifies a pinch-off voltage range
of -2.0 to -6.5V. Completely normal production variation may be
quite different than the spec sheet curve. So it sounds like
Clifford has J310s that have a relatively small pinch-off voltage,
perhaps even out of spec, and the ~2V drop of the diode chain is
biasing the FET off.

Data sheet for the Fairchild parts: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/J3/J310.pdf

Dana K6JQ
Old March 25th 18, 08:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I had the same problem and did not understood why.
I replaced the J310 with J309 and it works properly.
Regards