Old November 12th 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Transformer Oil Suppliers

We need less than a gallon of transformer oil for coolant.
Does anyone sell such small quantities?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old November 12th 12, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

atec77 "atec77 writes:

We need less than a gallon of transformer oil for coolant.
Does anyone sell such small quantities?

any sort of high temp cooking oil
transformer oil can be toxic and is difficult to find

We don't want cooking oil.

If transformer oil is toxic, the MSDS would say so.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old November 12th 12, 01:37 PM
Senior Member

The question is - what do you want to do with it?

The old MFJ - Heathkit - Cantenna - all you needed was cooking oil.

If you want to hone an engine block - there is alternate substitutes.

If you did an internet search - you would have found what you were looking for

Amsoil has a lot of variants to their basic supply of oils.

Siemens pays to get rid of hundreds of gallons a month of transformer oil from their old transformers.

I'm sure ABB and Arriva does the same thing with their service crews.

The thing of it is - although the MSDS doesn't say or does say which is bad for you. It does not take into consideration what you plan to use it for.

Just dumping some oil inside of a transformer isn't going to hurt you.

Breathing in the vapors of transformer oil which is being aeroated by a engine hone can hurt you and can make you sick.
Especially if there is PCB's involved.
Old November 12th 12, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In atec77 "atec77 wrote:

On 12/11/2012 1:39 PM, David Lesher wrote:
We need less than a gallon of transformer oil for coolant.
Does anyone sell such small quantities?

any sort of high temp cooking oil

Not cooking oil; vegetable or animal derived oils will go rancid over
time and don't handle really high temperatures very well. Mineral oil is
much more appropriate.

transformer oil can be toxic and is difficult to find

Traditional transformer oil contained PCBs. The new stuff doesn't.

MFJ sells 1 gallon bottles for $30.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...oductid=MFJ-21

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB St. Paul, MN
Old November 12th 12, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bert writes:

Not cooking oil; vegetable or animal derived oils will go rancid over
time and don't handle really high temperatures very well. Mineral oil is
much more appropriate.

transformer oil can be toxic and is difficult to find

Traditional transformer oil contained PCBs. The new stuff doesn't.

MFJ sells 1 gallon bottles for $30.

There's been no PCB's in transformer oil (or anything else
sold...) since 1979. GE is still trying to clean up the Hudson
River.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...oductid=MFJ-21

Thank you. This is the coolant for the motor controller
we built; for an electric Miata we've named QAR. The heat
sinks have copper tubing embedded in them. We need thermal
conductivity and electrical isolation since the heat sinks are
200V apart, and are not referenced to the frame.

We tried mineral oil but the viscosity is way too high.
Fluorinert would be ideal but would likely cost more than all we
have spent to date. We're looking at DOT5 brake fluid as well.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Old November 12th 12, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In David Lesher
wrote:

Bert writes:

Not cooking oil; vegetable or animal derived oils will go rancid over
time and don't handle really high temperatures very well. Mineral oil
is much more appropriate.

transformer oil can be toxic and is difficult to find

Traditional transformer oil contained PCBs. The new stuff doesn't.

MFJ sells 1 gallon bottles for $30.

There's been no PCB's in transformer oil (or anything else
sold...) since 1979. GE is still trying to clean up the Hudson
River.

I'm old enough that products introduced in 1979 still count as "new
stuff."

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB St. Paul, MN
Old November 12th 12, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
Bert wrote:

Not cooking oil; vegetable or animal derived oils will go rancid over
time and don't handle really high temperatures very well. Mineral oil is
much more appropriate.

transformer oil can be toxic and is difficult to find

Traditional transformer oil contained PCBs. The new stuff doesn't.

MFJ sells 1 gallon bottles for $30.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...oductid=MFJ-21

Another option is to check your local animal-feed store.

Light, food-grade mineral oil is sold as a laxative for horses and
cattle.

One online source I just checked, lists it at $22 for a two-gallon tub.

If you've got a feed store near you, it might be a significantly less
expensive source for this sort of oil - cheaper than MFJ per gallon
and you could save the (considerable) shipping cost.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old November 12th 12, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
David Lesher wrote:

We need less than a gallon of transformer oil for coolant.
Does anyone sell such small quantities?

I use standard 32 Wt Turbine Oil (Hydraulic Oil Food Grade)
Hasn't been a problem for my 1Kw Cantenna, for years....

--
Bruce in Alaska add path before the @ for email
Old November 12th 12, 10:09 PM
Senior Member

Maybe I didn't read it correctly - I thought he said he wanted something that was cheap!

Cooking oil - $10.99 a gallon

Some type of industrial oil - Tractor supply? $20.00 a gallon tops!

Your MFJ oil $30.00 a gallon

$30.00 doesn't fit my description of being cheap!

We would first need to know what he wanted to use it for.

Better suppliers Marty Shortwave 1 October 21st 05 01:17 AM
Better suppliers Bob Miller Shortwave 0 October 20th 05 11:26 PM
Better suppliers junius Shortwave 0 October 20th 05 06:31 AM
Better suppliers [email protected] Shortwave 0 October 20th 05 04:26 AM
Antenna Tubing suppliers SB Antenna 5 May 31st 04 01:03 PM