Old December 19th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default All Digital Receiver (or nearly all digital)

"rickman" wrote in message
On 12/17/2012 10:18 PM, garyr wrote:

"Understanding Digital Signal Processing" by Richard G. Lyons is a good
source of information.

If you plan to do the FPGA code yourself check out: www.myhdl.org

For the antenna consider: www.febo.com/time-freq/wwvb/antenna

At 60 KHz RG-58 would be as good as RG-6 for a loop antenna and much
easier
to work with. PCV pipe is a good material for the frame. email me
directly
and I'll send you a photo of a 1m VLF antenna I made.

Unless you are located in Boulder, CO you will probably need an analog
amplifier.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the info. I am familiar with Richard's book. He seems like a
good guy and will provide errata for anyone who has bought his book. I am
familiar with DSP in general and digital receivers specifically. I have
most of that part of the design analyzed enough to begin coding. It is the
ADC that I have had some trouble analyzing. I have been planning to
construct a Sigma-Delta converter in the FPGA. Turns out this might be a
little power hungry and I won't be able to use the special dithering that
shapes the noise. My primary goal is to do this entire project with very,
very little power consumption. If I can get a strong enough signal I can
just use an LVDS input without the integration of a Sigma-Delta converter,
but I won't know until I get some of this built and tested.

I am very experienced with HDL so I should be ok there.

I have found any number of sites that talk about loop antenna
construction, but most don't really explain how to analyze them. I have
finally cobbled together a good picture of the technical aspects from a
number of web sites and have an antenna plan. I am looking at using 50
feet of RG-6 with copper inner conductor to optimize the Q. My initial
pass is a compromise between optimizing the signal strength and making the
final unit easy to construct and support. It will be 8 turns on 2 foot
diameter wooden spokes. I expect the stiffness of the RG-6 to help
support the cable. This would likely be a decent design up to four foot
diameter.

In the end I may find I can use a ferrite loop. But the signal strengths
I have seen from commercial ferrite antennas do not seem to be good
enough, around 8 uV for 100uV/m field strength which is about what I
expect to see here on the east coast.

As to the amp, we will see. I have an equation to predict signal strength
at the antenna output and I am expecting a decent signal level if I have a
good Q and transformer couple the output. Total gain (Q and transformer)
over an untuned antenna will approach 10,000.

But there is many a slip between cup and lip. I hope to make some
progress on this over the holidays and have some test results.

Can you explain why you think RG-58 will be as good as the RG-6? The
inner conductor of RG-6 has only a small impact from skin effect, I think
it is around 21%. At 32 mil the inner conductor of RG-58 (compared to 40
mil for RG-6) will have even less impact from skin effect, but will have a
higher resistance and so a lower Q. The capacitance per foot is nearly
twice that of RG-6 as well although I'm still not clear on the specific
details of this effect. I believe higher capacitance will lower the self
resonant frequency although I don't expect this to be a problem in my
application.

Rick

I don't understand how you intend to use an LVDS input for the WWVB signal?
Could you explain.

Have you considered using a WWVB receiver IC? I don't know what kind of
power they require but they generate the 1pps PWM signal which could be
processed by a low-power microprocessor very easily.

http://www.c-max-time.com/products/showProduct.php?id=2
http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index...&products_id=7
http://www.ntp-time-server.com/wwvb-...b-receiver.htm

I've constructed loop antennas using both RG-58 (60 KHz) and RG-6, or
something similar to RG-6 (~20 KHz) and had good luck with both. I haven't
compared the outputs of both tuned to 60 KHz so I can't say much about how
their electrical performance compare. The RG-6 with the aluminum shield is a
PITA
because you can't make a solder connection to it. Self-resonance will not be
a problem. 100' of RG-58 on a 1 meter dia. frame required about 25 nF to
resonate at 60 KHz. One advantage of the febo-type antenna with the 1-turn
pickup loop is that its output impedance is very low which means that the
antenna can be located away from the receiver.

Old December 19th 12, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 12/19/2012 10:26 AM, garyr wrote:

I don't understand how you intend to use an LVDS input for the WWVB signal?
Could you explain.

I guess you didn't read my initial post. My intent is to create an
all-digital receiver at very low power. The receiver ICs around use
standard analog technology to detect the AM signal. WWVB has added
phase modulation which should be receivable at a lower SNR. I also want
to detect both modulation schemes and compare the results.

Have you considered using a WWVB receiver IC? I don't know what kind of
power they require but they generate the 1pps PWM signal which could be
processed by a low-power microprocessor very easily.

They are fairly low power as can be CPU chips when cycled on and off as
needed. But I want to do this in an FPGA so I can see just how low
power it can be.

http://www.c-max-time.com/products/showProduct.php?id=2
http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index...&products_id=7
http://www.ntp-time-server.com/wwvb-...b-receiver.htm

I've constructed loop antennas using both RG-58 (60 KHz) and RG-6, or
something similar to RG-6 (~20 KHz) and had good luck with both. I haven't
compared the outputs of both tuned to 60 KHz so I can't say much about how
their electrical performance compare. The RG-6 with the aluminum shield is a
PITA
because you can't make a solder connection to it. Self-resonance will not be
a problem. 100' of RG-58 on a 1 meter dia. frame required about 25 nF to
resonate at 60 KHz. One advantage of the febo-type antenna with the 1-turn
pickup loop is that its output impedance is very low which means that the
antenna can be located away from the receiver.

The cable I have already has F type connectors on the ends, so I don't
care about the aluminum shield. I did have to shop around a bit to find
one with an all copper inner conductor. Seems they use copper coated
steel for CATV. I think my numbers are for a bit less than 80 nF of
capacitance so I bought a bunch of 15 nF silver mica parts and some
other small values to tune it in closely, then I have a triple bank,
0-500 pF tuner cap from an old receiver for final tuning. Once I have
the rest of the system working well, I'll likely use fixed values of
caps to tune the antenna without the variable cap. I saw one antenna
that used a bank of roughly power of 2 caps with switches to allow the
antenna to be tuned easily, cute.

I am thinking of using a ferrite core as a coupling transformer as it
will give me a lot of voltage gain. I am looking to get towards 10,000
gain from combined Q and transformer.

The LVDS input on the FPGA will act as a 1 bit ADC. I was planning to
use this in a Sigma-Delta converter and produce a 4 bit value at 240 kHz
(4x carrier rate). I'm not sure I need the Sigma-Delta converter and
might end up just using the 1 bit from the LVDS directly. By
downconverting to DC and downsampling to 30 Hz I will get a *lot* of
processing gain with an SNR improvement of some 33 dB (assuming
uncorrelated noise). Another way to look at the digital design is as a
very long FIR filter resulting in a filter with a very narrow bandpass
or one bin of a DFT. Turns out they are all the same math in this case
(multiply by 1, 0, -1, 0 sequence).

There are a few wrinkles I haven't figured out yet. I need a sample
clock that is both accurate and low power. I have yet to find that. XO
oscillators I have found over 1 MHz are all in the mA range. I'm
thinking of using the very poor internal oscillator in the FPGA and
calibrating it to a 32.768 kHz reference which can be both accurate and
low power. But I don't yet know if the internal oscillator is low power
enough. I need to fire up the eval board (gratis from NuHorizons) and
measure the power consumption with and without the internal oscillator
enabled. If the power consumption is low enough I can frequency lock it
to the clock oscillator and come up with a calibration factor. Then the
sample clock can be generated internally using a DCO updated with each
calibration.

Thanks for discussing this with me. I like to bounce ideas off of other
people.

Rick
Old December 19th 12, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.moderated

I thought I would cross post this to rec.radio.amateur.moderated. They
have made a number of announcements about this and seem to be
encouraging the practice.

Rick