RadioBanter

-   -   Project Shun: An intro for rec.radio.* users (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/205677-project-shun-intro-rec-radio-%2A-users.html)

Stephen Thomas Cole[_3_] July 24th 14 09:06 AM

Project Shun: An intro for rec.radio.* users

Morning folks. I've been observing with sadness the infiltration by Gareth
Alun Evans to rec.radio.* recently and the disruption and rudeness that has
followed. Big G is well-known throughout many newsgroups as a troublemaker
and pernicious troll. Above all others, he considers uk.radio.amateur as
his "home" and his near two-decade history of abuse there is available for
all to review in Google Groups.

We've had enough of him and his idiocy. So, Project Shun was born. Broadly
speaking, Project Shun involves ignoring him en-masse, refusing to be drawn
into his trolling, refusing to lower ourselves to his level. In doing so,
the master attention-seeker is starved of the attention that he craves. And
it's working. Since Project Shun began, ukra has become a significantly
more useable group. Not perfect by any means, but for the first time in
months there are multiple on-topic and (comparatively) civil discussions
taking place and not descending into a morass of bile and hatred.

However, there are unintended (but not unforeseen, as Big G is a
predictable beast) consequences. The abuse and attention-seeking has
shifted from ukra to rrah (and other newsgroups). It would be my humble
suggestion that participants here also apply Project Shun to drive this
malicious and unpleasant troll away. And not only to restore order to your
group, but as a defence against the far more unsavoury side of his
"personality". As many of you will be aware, Big G was prosecuted and
convicted in court after contacting another user's employer with vile
insinuations that he was a danger to children (as he worked at a school, I
think you can understand the gravity of such an accusation). This was not
the first instance of such appalling behaviour, Big G had done exactly the
same to several other individuals he had fallen out with on Usenet, making
the same vile slur. Separated from many of you by an ocean and a legal
jurisdiction, I fear that he may be emboldened to try the same sick stunt
with you. Avoid that risk by blanking him completely.

--
Stephen Thomas Cole // Sent from my iPhone

Spike[_3_] July 24th 14 09:19 AM

On 24/07/14 09:06, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:

However, there are unintended (but not unforeseen, as Big G is a
predictable beast) consequences. The abuse and attention-seeking has
shifted from ukra to rrah (and other newsgroups).

One of the unintended consequences is that I have now had to start
adding Americans to the KF, Stuckle being the first. This is the first
addition for quite some time. Let's hope it's the last.

--
Spike

Bernie July 24th 14 09:51 AM

"Stephen Thomas Cole" wrote in message
[...]

he has some weird ideas it is true and is unduly sensitive to criticism,
sure, but he looks to
be a pukka amateur of the old school. what have you got against him looking
at your posts
over a few days especially your scurrilous remarks about his sex life are
you sure the problem
is'nt at your end somewhere?

Stephen Thomas Cole[_3_] July 24th 14 09:59 AM

Spike wrote:
On 24/07/14 09:06, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:

However, there are unintended (but not unforeseen, as Big G is a
predictable beast) consequences. The abuse and attention-seeking has
shifted from ukra to rrah (and other newsgroups).

One of the unintended consequences is that I have now had to start adding
Americans to the KF, Stuckle being the first. This is the first addition
for quite some time. Let's hope it's the last.

Sadly, Jerry played straight into Big G's hands and gave him the attention
he lusts after. Hopefully, my posting might help Jerry to see that there
are much more effective ways to get at Big G.

--
Stephen Thomas Cole // Sent from my iPhone

Clod's Conscience July 24th 14 10:29 AM

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:51:11 +0100, Bernie wrote:

he has some weird ideas it is true and is unduly sensitive to criticism,
sure, but he looks to be a pukka amateur of the old school. what have
you got against him looking at your posts over a few days especially
your scurrilous remarks about his sex life are you sure the problem
is'nt at your end somewhere?

Ha! Nice one, Gruff!

AndyW July 24th 14 10:41 AM

On 24/07/2014 09:51, Bernie wrote:

he has some weird ideas it is true and is unduly sensitive to criticism,
sure, but he looks to
be a pukka amateur of the old school. what have you got against him looking
at your posts
over a few days especially your scurrilous remarks about his sex life are
you sure the problem
is'nt at your end somewhere?

He does appear to be an old-school amateur and I have had some good chat
with him however he also seems to enjoy the position of being the lone
defender

He does not like me because he randomly decided that I was in the army
and has labelled me a baby-killer. I have never been in the army but it
did not seem to stop him. until that point we seemed to have a fairly
cordial relationship on here.

That said, there are still a significant number of people who poke the
bear and stir him up, if they stopped goading him then a significant
percentage of the noise would die away.
Ignoring the noise only works if you ignore it.

However, after 30+ years online I have seen all the loons, stirrers,
trolls and keyboard warriors come and go - sadly often taking a NG or
channel with them.

Andy

Jerry Stuckle July 24th 14 02:23 PM

On 7/24/2014 4:59 AM, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:
Spike wrote:
On 24/07/14 09:06, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:

However, there are unintended (but not unforeseen, as Big G is a
predictable beast) consequences. The abuse and attention-seeking has
shifted from ukra to rrah (and other newsgroups).

One of the unintended consequences is that I have now had to start adding
Americans to the KF, Stuckle being the first. This is the first addition
for quite some time. Let's hope it's the last.

Sadly, Jerry played straight into Big G's hands and gave him the attention
he lusts after. Hopefully, my posting might help Jerry to see that there
are much more effective ways to get at Big G.

You can look at it both ways. He's so predictable that he's easy to
lead on. Trolls like him can be a lot of fun.

I'd love to see him try to contact my employer with such accusations -
they would get a huge laugh on it. Also, just because there are
jurisdictional differences doesn't mean legal action can't be taken
against him.

The thing I regret is that OFCOM doesn't have a character requirement.
Here in the U.S. his license would very probably not be renewed due to
his court case.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

Rambo July 24th 14 03:31 PM

Project Shun: An intro for rec.radio.* users

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:51:11 +0100, "Bernie" wrote:

Stephen Thomas Cole // Sent from my iPhone

he has some weird ideas it is true and is unduly sensitive to criticism,
sure, but he looks to
be a pukka amateur of the old school. what have you got against him looking
at your posts
over a few days especially your scurrilous remarks about his sex life are
you sure the problem
is'nt at your end somewhere?

Quite true, Gareth has every right to express his views and have them
debated. If you disagree then debate it. It's quite possible to hold a
gentlemanly disagreement and this has happened on many occasions, with
no harm done.

The ones trying to "shun" are indeed his chief abusers, and
responsible for much trouble in the NG's whilst claiming to be holier
than thou.

What give them the right to deny the free speech of others...

Nothing!

Jerry Stuckle July 24th 14 03:44 PM

Project Shun: An intro for rec.radio.* users

On 7/24/2014 10:40 AM, Brian Morrison wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:23:23 -0400
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

The thing I regret is that OFCOM doesn't have a character requirement.

I think any such requirement would be struck down under UK and/or
European law. I am surprised that it still stands in the US, perhaps it
only applies to observed character traits related to use of radio?

Nope, it can apply to non-radio related convictions, also.

A radio license is a privilege, not a right.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

Rambo July 24th 14 04:40 PM

Project Shun: An intro for rec.radio.* users

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:33:18 +0000 (UTC), Brian Reay
wrote:

Rambo wrote:
[...]

Your problem is you have no idea how a gentleman behaves. He doesn't send
malicious emails or call people nonces, perverts, etc. Nor does he make up
a string of false accusations about peoples' families.

Neither doyou Brian. Do you deny then that you and your chum have been
goading and making false allegations against Gareth for years?

He doesn't claim to have progressed to a Full licence when he hasn't
either.