Old September 18th 14, 03:17 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default The Compleat Angler?

Stuart Longland wrote in
:

I can't remember the details, but I
think he found a part-answer in using lots of PFPE grease to exclude
water. The stuff is often used on vehicles because it tends to stay put
and not form a grinding paste with all the grit that lands on it.

Interesting concept, I wonder how that affects conductivity…

Not a lot, I think. I just did a test, I smeared a bit of Krytox on the
tip of my index finger, trying to get it even and about 0.25mm thick, then
zapped it with a peizo gas ignitor. It took several shots to get a spark to
find a weak spot through it, or any sensation of electric shock, so I'd say
it's pretty good, and likely to protect against ESD too if you fill a Dsub
pin shroud with it.
Old September 18th 14, 03:22 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Stuart Longland wrote in
:

I can't remember the details, but I
think he found a part-answer in using lots of PFPE grease to exclude
water. The stuff is often used on vehicles because it tends to stay put
and not form a grinding paste with all the grit that lands on it.

Interesting concept, I wonder how that affects conductivity…

My last post didn't interpret you correctly, I think. Krytox is a light
grease, it's firm but has a low vicosity. When two moving parts meet it tends
to part between them rather than goop between them, hence beign best to use a
good chunk of it. It's easily displaced under the pressure of metal contacs
so I doubt it would harm the electrical contact. It's also white, making it
very easy to examine for gubbins and grit, etc.

Old September 19th 14, 01:33 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Chris Kirby wrote:
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:

It's illegal to text while driving, but what about using a key?

On most cars, it's compulsory. If you don't turn it, the engine won't
start.

My car doesn't start with a key, you push a button marked "START". The car
I learnt to drive in, a 1956 Ford Popular, also had a button marked
"START". This is called "progress", apparently.
I need a drink.

--
73 de Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI - mine's a pint.
Old September 19th 14, 07:51 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 19/09/2014 01:33, Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:
Chris Kirby wrote:
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:

It's illegal to text while driving, but what about using a key?

On most cars, it's compulsory. If you don't turn it, the engine won't
start.

My car doesn't start with a key, you push a button marked "START". The car
I learnt to drive in, a 1956 Ford Popular, also had a button marked
"START". This is called "progress", apparently.
I need a drink.

I drive a lot of hire cars on business and the recent 'progress' means
that I often have to spend ages finding out how the maker of this
particular car has decided to implement things that have been a de-facto
standard such as keys: traditional keys, 'credit card' keys...
I had a key fob that I spent ages trying to find out how to get the key
to pop out before giving out and looking for the key hole only to find
that it was a proximity key that activates the system once you get in
the car.
.... or handbrakes, traditional lever, pull handle, push button,
automagic comfuser controlled intelligent parking brake....

I have to take a refresher course when I get in a new car now.

mumble grumble... getting old....

Andy
Old September 19th 14, 08:46 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message
-septembe
r.org, Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI writes
Chris Kirby wrote:
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:

It's illegal to text while driving, but what about using a key?

On most cars, it's compulsory. If you don't turn it, the engine won't
start.

My car doesn't start with a key, you push a button marked "START". The car
I learnt to drive in, a 1956 Ford Popular, also had a button marked
"START". This is called "progress", apparently.
I need a drink.

My 1953 Ford Prefect also had a button marked "START". IIRC, you had to
pull it (and I expect the Popular was the same). It therefore seems that
the one great technical leap forward is the change from PULL to PUSH. On
the other hand, I don't that think that there was any need for a starter
solenoid
--
Ian

Old September 19th 14, 09:49 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 19/09/14 10:33, Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:
The car
I learnt to drive in, a 1956 Ford Popular, also had a button marked
"START".

My computer at work has one called "Start" but ironically I use it to
"stop" it.
Old September 19th 14, 10:00 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , Stuart Longland
writes
On 19/09/14 10:33, Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:
The car
I learnt to drive in, a 1956 Ford Popular, also had a button marked
"START".

My computer at work has one called "Start" but ironically I use it to
"stop" it.

Here, it's perfectly obvious that "Start" refers to starting the
procedure you need to carry out to stop it. [Doesn't it?]
--
Ian
Old September 19th 14, 12:36 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

AndyW wrote:

I drive a lot of hire cars on business and the recent 'progress' means
that I often have to spend ages finding out how the maker of this
particular car has decided to implement things that have been a de-facto
standard such as keys: traditional keys, 'credit card' keys...
I had a key fob that I spent ages trying to find out how to get the key
to pop out before giving out and looking for the key hole only to find
that it was a proximity key that activates the system once you get in
the car.
... or handbrakes, traditional lever, pull handle, push button,
automagic comfuser controlled intelligent parking brake....

I have to take a refresher course when I get in a new car now.

mumble grumble... getting old....

Andy

I had a rental that used a proximity key. It was a fastback model and I
had left my keys in the back while removing some luggage. As I closed
the lid I thought 'Oh crap. I just locked my keys inside'. But the
auto-lock didn't click in because of the keys. What a relief.

-Bill
Old September 19th 14, 02:48 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 19/09/14 10:00, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Stuart Longland
writes
On 19/09/14 10:33, Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:
The car
I learnt to drive in, a 1956 Ford Popular, also had a button marked
"START".

My computer at work has one called "Start" but ironically I use it to
"stop" it.

Here, it's perfectly obvious that "Start" refers to starting the
procedure you need to carry out to stop it. [Doesn't it?]

To be fair, that was always a rather silly jibe at Windows.

The Start referred to starting the Menu, the fact that the process to
turn off the computer was in the Menu hardly needs the whole thing to be
renamed. If they had called it 'Menu', as some OS's do (eg the Cinnamon
Desktop on the Linux I'm using now), someone would have made a
joke about not wanting a meal.

Old September 19th 14, 07:59 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Brian Reay wrote in :

[...]

On old Psion Organisers Off is on the menu so the menu must be on. If a
program is to run the menu must be off so the program can't be off, even if
we want it to, unless the coder put off onto user control. There some coders
who did this, wisely deciding not to put off till tomorrow what should be on
today, but this still leaves a question as to what menu should be on in order
to become off. Fortunately the Organiser will go off anyway, if we wait, but
not if the comms link is connected, so ironically the more ways we have to
turn it off, the more on it must be. I could go on, but I shall desist.