Old July 10th 03, 04:47 AM
TC Dufresne

Default help with homebrew receiver!

Hi:
I am having a problem with a "Simple Receiver for Beginners". It is from a
design that was featured in an old (1981) ARRL handbook. It is a DC
receiver, looks like alot of fun, but it isn't fun now.
Here is the problem.

1) No oscillation! I can't find it (the VFO) on my DX-398 receiver at all,
or on my Radio Shack freq counter.
2) The power (+ side) electrolytic is supposed to be a 500uF, 16 volt. I am
using a 470uF 35 volt. It gets really hot!! Short somewhere?!?!?!

The VFO is REALLY simple, it has one transistor and about 7 other parts. I
can't seem to see what is wrong, and I have tried.

I would sure appreciate some Elmer'ing here!
ANY help would be much appreciated. I have the above mentioned tools at my
command, a multimeter, and an old Heathkit "scope. (which I really don't
know how to use.

Any chance?
Thanks in advance,
Tom