Old July 17th 03, 09:14 AM
The Eternal Squire

Default rock candy for popcorn receivers.

Hi,

I have a question making a diplexer for a popcorn receiver:

For example, suppose I have an active mixer (AD831)
where the IF is the colorburst frequency (3579 khz).
I would then use an MK484 AM receiver chip (TRF stage
as demodulator) operating at the colorburst frequency
to downconvert from IF to baseband.

Given that lineup, does it make any sense to couple the
mixer and the TRF stages together using a colorburst
crystal, or do I need to couple them with a fully elaborated
diplexer?

I'm wanting a CW receiver, so I am not that concerned
about the crystal not being wide enough to pass voice.
Or is there something about impedance termination which
makes a diplexer far more important than the narrow
filtering which a crystal would give me?

That is to say, would a crystal work as a diplexer under
this circumstance?

Thanks for the advice in advance,

The Eternal Squire