Old July 21st 03, 08:21 PM
Philip de Cadenet

Greg,

IF the only circuit published by the device manufacturer is for an amplifier
operating below 30 MHz,
that's a pretty good sign the devices won't provide any gain at 50 MHz...

BTW, a good 6 meter yagi (which is very easy to build and much smaller than
10 meter beams)
will yield more dB increase for less dollars than the amplifier.

Not totally true.

We use a THA15/SD1726 (30MHz bi-polar 150w pep) producing 220w in our FM
PA in continuous duty service in the 87.5-108MHz broadcast band.

Yes, it needs plenty of drive and the heat sink require plenty of air
but at $30 USD a hit it's one economical and rugged amp.

Here it is: http://www.transmittersrus.com/shop/powerRF220.htm

I totally agree with you on the antenna.

(((73)))
--
Philip de Cadenet G4ZOW
Transmitters 'R' Us

Old July 22nd 03, 01:12 AM
G.Beat

"Philip de Cadenet" wrote in message
Greg,

We use a THA15/SD1726 (30MHz bi-polar 150w pep) producing 220w in our FM
PA in continuous duty service in the 87.5-108MHz broadcast band.

Yes, it needs plenty of drive and the heat sink require plenty of air
but at $30 USD a hit it's one economical and rugged amp.

Here it is: http://www.transmittersrus.com/shop/powerRF220.htm

That's odd, since the SD1450 specifications were for the commercial FM
broadcast industry (88 - 108 MHz),
and is rated at 150 watts for 18 watts drive. Price is virtually the
ame - maybe its higher for you in UK

Greg
w9gb

Old July 22nd 03, 09:12 PM
Philip de Cadenet

Greg,

We use a THA15/SD1726 (30MHz bi-polar 150w pep) producing 220w in our FM
PA in continuous duty service in the 87.5-108MHz broadcast band.

Yes, it needs plenty of drive and the heat sink require plenty of air
but at $30 USD a hit it's one economical and rugged amp.

Here it is: http://www.transmittersrus.com/shop/powerRF220.htm

That's odd, since the SD1450 specifications were for the commercial FM
broadcast industry (88 - 108 MHz),
and is rated at 150 watts for 18 watts drive. Price is virtually the
ame - maybe its higher for you in UK

Where did you get the SD1450 from!

Check out our device he

http://www.angliac.com/st/data_from_st/2846.pdf

Give it a minute to load as it's a PDF page.

(((73)))
--
Philip de Cadenet G4ZOW
Transmitters 'R' Us

Old July 23rd 03, 01:40 PM
G.Beat

"Philip de Cadenet" wrote in message
Greg,

We use a THA15/SD1726 (30MHz bi-polar 150w pep) producing 220w in our

FM
PA in continuous duty service in the 87.5-108MHz broadcast band.

Yes, it needs plenty of drive and the heat sink require plenty of air
but at $30 USD a hit it's one economical and rugged amp.

Here it is: http://www.transmittersrus.com/shop/powerRF220.htm

Check out our device he

http://www.angliac.com/st/data_from_st/2846.pdf

Give it a minute to load as it's a PDF page.

So you drop from 20 Gp (db) at 30 MHz to 8 Gp (db) at 100 MHz
Would not have been my choice.

BTW, is your equipment FCC type accepted for USA usage on the commercial FM
frequencies (as required)

GB

Old July 24th 03, 08:50 AM
Philip de Cadenet

Hello GB,

So you drop from 20 Gp (db) at 30 MHz to 8 Gp (db) at 100 MHz
Would not have been my choice.

BTW, is your equipment FCC type accepted for USA usage on the commercial FM
frequencies (as required)

Regarding the device choice. I think the designers reason for using the
THA15 is that he found a very inexpensive source for the device and he
already had a 40w exciter in production. It was a suitably inexpensive
device.

FCC approval not required if used outside the US.

We are not based in the US.

My company is a re-seller for NRG products among others.

However frequency stability, harmonic attenuation and spurious products
would probably meet type approval spec in the US. Not sure how tough
your EMC and or electrical safety requirements are but it would probably
meet those to after looking at some of the budget end equipment that has
FCC type acceptance.

I just love those Part-15 Talking House transmitters.

Does the FCC still allow self approval on certain equipment?
--
Philip de Cadenet G4ZOW
Transmitters 'R' Us