Old August 4th 03, 11:43 AM
Roy Lewallen

Default Connector advice

For years I've had a relay box in the back yard to remotely switch among
antennas. The plastic freezer boxes I used deteriorate in the sun and
have to be replaced from time to time. Last time I was at the surplus
store I picked up an ammo box which will be the new home for the relays.
I plan on using N connectors for the RF due to their weatherproof
construction. The problem is a connector for the relay control cable. I
want a weatherproof bulkhead connector with at least 8 or 9 conductors,
and I'd like the cable part to be weatherproof also. I don't want to use
an in-line connector because of the problems of weatherproofing and
strain relieving wires going through the box wall.

There are a bunch of old military connectors that would be fine, but I
need a set of complete ones, with back shell for the cable end, etc.
I've been keeping an eye on eBay, but so far haven't spotted anything
quite right.

Does anyone know a source for a suitable connector set?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old August 4th 03, 12:05 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Roy Lewallen wrote:
[...]

I'd take a look at the "circular plastic connectors" sold by Digi-Key.
(among others)

They're not inherently weatherproof but some silicon sealant will make
them that way.

That's what's used on the pan/tilt heads that aim the transmit antennas
on TV microwave remote trucks - certainly at least as difficult an
application as what you're doing. The connectors far outlast the drive
gears!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old August 4th 03, 08:48 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

Roy Lewallen wrote:
For years I've had a relay box in the back yard to remotely switch
among antennas. The plastic freezer boxes I used deteriorate in the sun
and have to be replaced from time to time. Last time I was at the
surplus store I picked up an ammo box which will be the new home for
the relays. I plan on using N connectors for the RF due to their
weatherproof construction. The problem is a connector for the relay
control cable. I want a weatherproof bulkhead connector with at least 8
or 9 conductors, and I'd like the cable part to be weatherproof also. I
don't want to use an in-line connector because of the problems of
weatherproofing and strain relieving wires going through the box wall.

A standard electrical cable gland will weatherproof the cable going
through the box wall (or whatever you call that thing with a
compressible rubber washer that squeezes down onto the cable). That
would leaves an in-line connector pair which is a good shape to wrap
with tape, so it needn't be inherently waterproof.

There are a bunch of old military connectors that would be fine, but I
need a set of complete ones, with back shell for the cable end, etc.
I've been keeping an eye on eBay, but so far haven't spotted anything
quite right.

Does anyone know a source for a suitable connector set?

There's a fundamental strong repulsive force that pushes matching
surplus plugs and sockets to opposite ends of the Universe.

I had some success with mounting a DIN plug and socket inside any old
MIL connector shells for waterproofing. The only requirement is that the
MIL housings are compatible - I'm presuming that the pin configurations
don't match (see above) but that doesn't matter because you strip them
all out.

Remove the backshells (cable clamps and water seals) and drill out the
insides of the two MIL connectors to accept the two DIN connectors. Then
mate the two MIL housings together (still with the backshells removed
for access), push the DINs together inside the MIL housings and epoxy
each half into its MIL shell. You now have a waterproof DIN connector.

I hope that makes enough sense...

The DIN connectors are OK for relay-type currents.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Old August 6th 03, 02:29 AM
Roy Lewallen

I wasn't able to find such a thing in the (quite elaborate) electrical
department of a large DIY store. Is this something used in electrical
mains wiring (which is what the DIY store carries), or for some other
purpose?

In this country, it's long been standard practice to bring mains power
into a house via a "weather head", which is a pipe bent into a U shape,
so the wires enter it upward. There's a rubber grommet for the three
large diameter mains wires built in. This is very effective for its
intended use, but not useful for my purpose. I've never seen modern
electrical wiring run directly through an outside wall, if that's the
function of the "gland".

I'll try looking at a large electronics store next time I'm there.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Sylvan Butler wrote:
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:48:55 +0100, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Roy Lewallen wrote:

control cable. I want a weatherproof bulkhead connector with at least 8
or 9 conductors, and I'd like the cable part to be weatherproof also. I
don't want to use an in-line connector because of the problems of
weatherproofing and strain relieving wires going through the box wall.

A standard electrical cable gland will weatherproof the cable going
through the box wall (or whatever you call that thing with a
compressible rubber washer that squeezes down onto the cable). That

That's what I call them, but I have no idea if that is standard
terminology here in the States.

would leaves an in-line connector pair which is a good shape to wrap
with tape, so it needn't be inherently waterproof.

Yup. That's what I'd do.

sdb

Old August 6th 03, 07:47 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I wasn't able to find such a thing in the (quite elaborate) electrical
department of a large DIY store. Is this something used in electrical
mains wiring (which is what the DIY store carries), or for some other
purpose?

In this country, it's long been standard practice to bring mains power
into a house via a "weather head", which is a pipe bent into a U shape,
so the wires enter it upward. There's a rubber grommet for the three
large diameter mains wires built in. This is very effective for its
intended use, but not useful for my purpose. I've never seen modern
electrical wiring run directly through an outside wall, if that's the
function of the "gland".

I'll try looking at a large electronics store next time I'm there.

These things have GOT to exist in the USA, but clearly the name is
different.

They are used with metal conduit-and-box wiring systems, wherever you
want to bring a flexible cable out through the wall of a conduit box
with better waterproofing than a plain grommet.

Go to www.farnell.com/uk and search for part # 3034367 - click for
details and this should give a reasonable picture.

The outside of the fixed part looks rather like a through-bulkhead
double female N connector. It goes through the box wall, with some kind
of O-ring seal, and is fixed with a single large nut. The cable threads
through the inside, and is sealed by a rubber ring and a screw-down cap.
Result - a completely waterproof lead-through.

All together now: "Oh, ya mean a [Fill In The Blank] - why didn't ya
*say* so?"

Anyway, the whole point was that these [FITB] things are available in
cheap plastic, and are ideal for getting cables through the walls of
plastic or metal boxes in a totally waterproof way. You can install
in-line connectors on the 'tails' of cable if necessary, and they make a
very easy shape to wrap with waterproofing tape.

This is vastly better than installing chassis-mount connectors on the
box wall, and then trying to wrap tape onto a very difficult shape.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Old August 6th 03, 11:07 AM
Roy Lewallen

Thanks for the reference. The closest thing I found to that was
something roughly similar for what we call Romex wire -- flattish, vinyl
insulated three-conductor (called two conductor with ground) wire used
for house wiring. I'm not sure it was weatherproof, though. It would be
harder to seal something of that shape than it would to seal something
round.

I suspect that the part you referenced is uncommon here because of the
larger gauge of our house wiring due to the lower distribution voltage.
Wire smaller than AWG14 (SWG15) isn't used except for lamp and appliance
cords and the like, never for fixed wiring. The AWG14 or 12 wire used
for house wiring is virtually always in flat Romex cable. (Four
conductor 220 volt wire is round but large diameter.) Interior wiring is
secured to boxes with clamps which are definitely not weatherproof.
Exterior wiring is virtually always in conduit between boxes. I found a
number of weatherproof clamp-type fittings for conduit, with similar
construction to the Farnell part, but the inner diameter is much too
large for the small cable I'll be using. It's been a long time since I
looked carefully at the code, but I'd be very surprised if exterior
wiring is permitted outside of conduit under any circumstances.

Maybe I should just send my 42p to Farnell. . . Hm, better yet, there's
a cottage in Wales we've been told needs beta testing, so maybe we can
kill two birds with one stone. . .

I'll check the electronics store. Maybe someone imports them and sells
them for other applications.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL