RadioBanter

-   -   Anyone ever had a fatal electric shock? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/20942-anyone-ever-had-fatal-electric-shock.html)

Paul Burridge August 7th 03 11:29 AM

Anyone ever had a fatal electric shock?

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Dr. Anton Squeegee August 7th 03 01:23 PM

In article , Paul Burridge
says...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

800+ VDC off the plate supply of an old Gonset GSB-100 transmitter
once. Fortunately, it was all along one arm. It knocked me across the
room, and left a nice first-degree burn at the contact point.

Doubt I'd be around to type this if I'd been working with both
hands at the time.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Gary Cavie August 7th 03 01:24 PM

In article ,
says...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

A couple, obviously not fatal, but enough to make me think twice about
going for it again.

The first was as a young child, when I pushed a plug with no back on it
into a socket using the palm of my hand, and the latest when I pulled a
bare earth wire across a consumer unit prior to sleeving and terminating
it, and it stroked the busbar. I took it as a wake-up call, and make sure
that I have my rubber gloves on these days when doing this sort of work -
or isolating the supply when practical.

I still get the occasional tingle (hazards of the job), but nothing
lately like those other two, which _really_ hurt!

George R. Gonzalez August 7th 03 02:08 PM

IIRC a "fatal" shock is mroe likely to be a mddling-current one. The
stronger ones tend to self-defibbrilate you.

That's why lightning strike victims often survive.

A BAD shock I got once was when I had a pair of 400uf, 450V capacitors
forming up on the cap tester.
It was up to 450 volts, but still pulling a few milliamps. I went to set it
aside and wrapped one hand around one big aluminum can, other hand around
the other can. I thought both cans were grounded, but somehow got a heck of
a shock! Later on I realized I was chanrging the capacitors in series for
some reason.

Take care,

George

Paul Burridge August 7th 03 02:41 PM

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:33:24 GMT, "Harris"
wrote:

Several people have and of course they are all dead.

Well I don't believe the answer's that simple. I'll explain in due
course, but would like to give a few others a chance to guess what I'm
driving at (this isn't some sort of joke BTW).

Paul Burridge August 7th 03 02:41 PM

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:11:10 +0000 (UTC), "Leon Heller"
wrote:

I've seen someone get hold of 440 V 3 phase bus bars, one in each hand. He
was across the supply for about 5 minutes as the emergency stop button in
the lab didn't work and he couldn't let go. He was lucky - just badly burnt
hands. He was back at work a couple of days later, heavily bandaged.

Thanks, Leon. This is the kind of 'unsurvivable shock' I had in mind.
I'm sure we'll have several more hair-raising examples to come yet,
though.