RadioBanter

-   -   Anyone ever had a fatal electric shock? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/20942-anyone-ever-had-fatal-electric-shock.html)

Paul Burridge August 7th 03 11:29 AM

Anyone ever had a fatal electric shock?

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Dr. Anton Squeegee August 7th 03 01:23 PM

In article , Paul Burridge
says...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

800+ VDC off the plate supply of an old Gonset GSB-100 transmitter
once. Fortunately, it was all along one arm. It knocked me across the
room, and left a nice first-degree burn at the contact point.

Doubt I'd be around to type this if I'd been working with both
hands at the time.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Gary Cavie August 7th 03 01:24 PM

In article ,
says...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

A couple, obviously not fatal, but enough to make me think twice about
going for it again.

The first was as a young child, when I pushed a plug with no back on it
into a socket using the palm of my hand, and the latest when I pulled a
bare earth wire across a consumer unit prior to sleeving and terminating
it, and it stroked the busbar. I took it as a wake-up call, and make sure
that I have my rubber gloves on these days when doing this sort of work -
or isolating the supply when practical.

I still get the occasional tingle (hazards of the job), but nothing
lately like those other two, which _really_ hurt!

George R. Gonzalez August 7th 03 02:08 PM

IIRC a "fatal" shock is mroe likely to be a mddling-current one. The
stronger ones tend to self-defibbrilate you.

That's why lightning strike victims often survive.

A BAD shock I got once was when I had a pair of 400uf, 450V capacitors
forming up on the cap tester.
It was up to 450 volts, but still pulling a few milliamps. I went to set it
aside and wrapped one hand around one big aluminum can, other hand around
the other can. I thought both cans were grounded, but somehow got a heck of
a shock! Later on I realized I was chanrging the capacitors in series for
some reason.

Take care,

George

Paul Burridge August 7th 03 02:41 PM

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:33:24 GMT, "Harris"
wrote:

Several people have and of course they are all dead.

Well I don't believe the answer's that simple. I'll explain in due
course, but would like to give a few others a chance to guess what I'm
driving at (this isn't some sort of joke BTW).

Paul Burridge August 7th 03 02:41 PM

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:11:10 +0000 (UTC), "Leon Heller"
wrote:

I've seen someone get hold of 440 V 3 phase bus bars, one in each hand. He
was across the supply for about 5 minutes as the emergency stop button in
the lab didn't work and he couldn't let go. He was lucky - just badly burnt
hands. He was back at work a couple of days later, heavily bandaged.

Thanks, Leon. This is the kind of 'unsurvivable shock' I had in mind.
I'm sure we'll have several more hair-raising examples to come yet,
though.

Michael Black August 7th 03 03:08 PM

Winfield Hill ) writes:
Paul Burridge wrote...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone
ever had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

I've had a few fatal shocks.

Thanks,
- Win

You sound in especially good shape for someone who's suffered multiple
fatal shocks.

Michael VE2BVW

Leon Heller August 7th 03 03:11 PM

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

I've seen someone get hold of 440 V 3 phase bus bars, one in each hand. He
was across the supply for about 5 minutes as the emergency stop button in
the lab didn't work and he couldn't let go. He was lucky - just badly burnt
hands. He was back at work a couple of days later, heavily bandaged.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Mike August 7th 03 03:34 PM

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:08:54 GMT, George R. Gonzalez wrote:

IIRC a "fatal" shock is mroe likely to be a mddling-current one. The
stronger ones tend to self-defibbrilate you.

That's why lightning strike victims often survive.

Is is really? I talked to some guys who made defibrillators once; there was
a defibrillator (a working one) in their lab, for use in case of shock
while working on a defibrillator.

-- Mike --

RP Henry August 7th 03 04:01 PM

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

I got 600V/400MHz right through my little finger once. Reached in where I
shouldn't have. If the current had taken the long way to ground through my
feet or other arm, instead of the short way out the fingernail, I would have
at least been smoking from end to end.

RP Henry August 7th 03 04:05 PM

"Michael Black" wrote in message
Winfield Hill ) writes:
Paul Burridge wrote...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone
ever had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

I've had a few fatal shocks.

Thanks,
- Win

You sound in especially good shape for someone who's suffered multiple
fatal shocks.

That explains the hair.

RP Henry August 7th 03 04:05 PM

"Michael Black" wrote in message
Paul Burridge wrote...

mullens August 7th 03 04:17 PM

Paul Burridge wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

My father had a 30kV (I think) shock (from a radar test set).
He went unconscious and many years later one could still see the scar
from the burn.

Titus Pomponius Atticus August 7th 03 04:34 PM

Once... 990 vac at 30 amps for a split second from right hand to left hand.
Stopped breathing, no heart beat but still aware for a few seconds.

How quiet everything got! Oh, I could still hear my coworkers laughing as I slid
to the floor, but the normal, unnoticed noises of respiration and circulation
were gone. About the time my vision started to go (seeing green, purple, black
splotches, all else fading), my heart gave a great single beat then took off
into tachycardia, then settled after a few seconds into a normal but fast
rhythm. I could breath and see again, but was too weak to get up for several
minutes. By this time the coworkers had figured out things were a bit more
serious and I was helped to my feet. That's when I noticed the burn on one hand,
where my thumb knuckle had brushed the case of the defective amplifier. It never
really hurt, the burn spot, but my chest muscles were sore for a week, also took
about that long for my strength return to normal.

I've been shocked many times before and since, but that was the closest I got to
buying the tiny farm.

warren weber August 7th 03 05:10 PM

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

In 1948 I was working for Westinghouse motor and transformer repair. We had
a LARGE transformer from a sub station to rewind. Always pot checked when
repaired for insulation break down with 4000 volts. The hot lead had a pin
hole in the insulation and the superintendent would not replace it. Had the
worker wrap it with electrical tape. STUPID. The worker went ahead and used
it. To reach the insulator tip the worker stood on a metal barrel covered
with 2 by 4 wood. As the power was applied the 4K volts went through the
hand, came out the foot and blew him off the barrel. He survived but had bad
burns on hand and foot. No OSHA in those days. A week later I resigned
from that job. Warren

EEng August 7th 03 05:14 PM

wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.

1982 at Beal AFB while installing a 2.4MegKVA UPS system I received an
arc'd shock from a 992V DC Link that should have left nothing but a
pile of dust where I had been. For reasons unknown, it instead
through me 18ft against the opposite wall leaving nothing more than a
2 inch burn mark on my elbow, although it did take almost 4 hours for
my breathing to return to normal and I suffered extreme headaches for
3 days. It was also necessary to change both my underwear and pants.
To this day my left elbow is extremely and painfully sensitive.

A E August 7th 03 05:47 PM

wrote:

Several people have and of course they are all dead.

Well I don't believe the answer's that simple. I'll explain in due

Yes it is. 'Fatal' doesn't have any slack in its definition. You could modify it
by adding 'near' as a prefix.

WB3FUP \(Mike Hall\) August 7th 03 07:17 PM

10KV to fire magnetron in counter battery radar. Took six marines to stop
me from burying my screw driver in the chest of the asshole that thought it
would be cute to push the radiate button.

--
73 es cul

wb3fup
a Salty Bear

"Dr. Anton Squeegee" wrote in message
In article , Paul Burridge
says...

Dave Platt August 7th 03 08:09 PM

In article ,
Tom Sevart wrote:

"WB3FUP (Mike Hall)" wrote in message
10KV to fire magnetron in counter battery radar. Took six marines to stop
me from burying my screw driver in the chest of the asshole that thought it
would be cute to push the radiate button.

I remember hearing the story of an Air Force tech working on a 30' radar
dish. For some dumb reason, someone energized it and promptly microwaved
him to death.

Some of these stories are hair rasing... and I'm too much of a weenie to
stick my tongue on a 9V battery...

http://www.labsafety.com/search/resu...ockout&x=0&y=0

Seems to go along well with "keep one hand in your back pocket" and
"don't work on this stuff while standing in a puddle of water".

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

J M Noeding August 7th 03 08:37 PM

wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

yes, and it explains a lot of why we became what we are...

jm
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/
--
remove ,xnd to reply (Spam precaution!)

Pat Ford August 7th 03 08:51 PM

wrote:

Several people have and of course they are all dead.

Well I don't believe the answer's that simple. I'll explain in due

Yes it is. 'Fatal' doesn't have any slack in its definition. You could

modify it
by adding 'near' as a prefix.

course, but would like to give a few others a chance to guess what I'm
driving at (this isn't some sort of joke BTW).
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

but you can be clinicaly death and restarted can't you? so does fatal imply
permenent death or can it be temporary?
Pat

RP Henry August 7th 03 08:57 PM

"Tom Sevart" wrote in message

"WB3FUP (Mike Hall)" wrote in message
10KV to fire magnetron in counter battery radar. Took six marines to

stop
me from burying my screw driver in the chest of the asshole that thought

it
would be cute to push the radiate button.

I remember hearing the story of an Air Force tech working on a 30' radar
dish. For some dumb reason, someone energized it and promptly microwaved
him to death.

Some of these stories are hair rasing... and I'm too much of a weenie to
stick my tongue on a 9V battery...

A Raytheon corporate legend is that one of the engineers discovered the
microwave oven principle when a radar melted a chocolate bar in his shirt
pocket.