Old August 29th 03, 01:51 AM
Bruce Raymond

Default Newbie Question - Class C Amplifiers

I've seen the equation Po = V^2 / 2R applied to the design
of Class C amplifiers. This doesn't make sense to me and
I'm looking for corroboration, or somebody to tell me I'm
an idiot ;-). The formula makes sense for a Class A amplifier
which has conduction over 360 degrees, but would seem
to overstate the power output for a Class C amplifier with,
say a 120 degree conduction.

An amplifier with a 120 degree conduction angle would
only produce about 47% as much power as one with a
360 degree conduction angle (if I did the math right).
Therefore, I'm assuming that the formula should be
Po = .47 * V^2 / 2R, or Po = V^2 / 4.2R in this case.
Is this correct?

Thanks,
Bruce Raymond/ND8I

Newbie question about FM aerial and portable radio Ger Antenna 7 September 17th 04 11:57 AM
newbie question, grounding joe Antenna 5 May 9th 04 05:55 PM
Newbie question new2radio Antenna 4 November 29th 03 07:43 PM
Another Newbie Question [email protected] Dx 0 September 21st 03 02:58 AM
Newbie Question - Class C Amplifiers Bruce Raymond Homebrew 20 August 30th 03 05:41 AM