Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 31st 03, 07:08 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Default ATX CONVERSION. any sugestions?

Deos wrote:

For the passed few week I have been thinking (and looking into) computer
power supply conversions into nice power supplies for my rigs.

Up to now there are two major way to do it (at least that's what I have
found)

A) The first way is to put a load on the 5v so it can regulate the 12V tap,
but as I can understand this does not utilize Max output

B) The second way is to strip all the unnecessary components (useless
taps, -5v -12v est.) and leave the 12v for maximum out put

Any comment would be appreciated and personal experience on this matter.

B): If you remove the 5 volt supply, it will not regulate. If you
"strip all the unnecessary components (useless taps, -5v -12v est.) and
leave the 12v for maximum output, the 12 volt winding will still limit
the available current. You have to re-design the whole regulator
circuit, rewind the transformer, and add more filtering to the 12 Volt
output.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida