Old September 16th 03, 10:04 AM
Karl Hemilton

Default FM Transmitter

My wife and I have two cars. While traveling, most of the time we go
in two cars. I am looking a device that we can talk to each other
while driving. Some thing like a FM Transmitter.

Can anybody help.

Thanks,
Karl
Old September 16th 03, 11:56 AM
Scott

You mean something like a set of FRS radios? Or CB walkie talkies (or
regular mobile CBs)? Oh, wait, I think I just got what you mean...you
want to transmit so that the other person can hear you over the car
radio? There are several commercial made "wireless microphones" that
will transmit to broadcast FM receivers, available at Radio Shack no
doubt...(I'd still opt for the FRS radios)

Scott
N0EDV

--

Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com

Old September 16th 03, 04:17 PM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , Karl
Hemilton says...

My wife and I have two cars. While traveling, most of the time we go
in two cars. I am looking a device that we can talk to each other
while driving. Some thing like a FM Transmitter.

You have a number of options.

(1) FRS radios. Small, cheap, easily strong enough to go at least
a half-mile, no license required. Obtainable at most electronic and
office-supply stores.

(2) You and your wife could get amateur radio licenses, and use 2m
or 70cm rigs on a simplex channel. You can switch to a repeater if you
get separated. Requires study, a license exam, etc. You are also
restricted from passing commercial messages ("Buy product X at store
Y," etc.) by Part 97 regs.

(3) Get a pair of MURS radios. More powerful than FRS, same no-
license-required, can go a little further, but considerably more
expensive than FRS units.

Good hunting.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Old September 16th 03, 06:05 PM
Tom Sedlack

Get two wireless microphones set to two different frequencies and you will
have full duplex capabilities. This way, she'll be able to interrupt you
whenever she wants ;-)

Old September 16th 03, 06:40 PM
Gary S.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:56:04 +0000, Scott
wrote:

Karl Hemilton wrote:

My wife and I have two cars. While traveling, most of the time we go
in two cars. I am looking a device that we can talk to each other
while driving. Some thing like a FM Transmitter.

You mean something like a set of FRS radios? Or CB walkie talkies (or
regular mobile CBs)? Oh, wait, I think I just got what you mean...you
want to transmit so that the other person can hear you over the car
radio? There are several commercial made "wireless microphones" that
will transmit to broadcast FM receivers, available at Radio Shack no
doubt...(I'd still opt for the FRS radios)

Scott
N0EDV

Yes, that is what I was thinking. The legal LPFM, which does transmit
on conventional FM broadcast frequencies, has a tiny power output and
a maximum range of something like 1/4 mile, which is 15 seconds apart
at highway speeds. They make much more sense around your home, and out
into the yard. You would also have to retune as you travel, to work
around broadcast stations.

I think that FRS or CB would make much more sense, work better ,and be
easier to use.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old September 17th 03, 10:52 PM
Lou

"W7TI" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:17:04 -0700, Dr. Anton Squeegee
wrote:

You are also
restricted from passing commercial messages ("Buy product X at store
Y," etc.) by Part 97 regs.

This needs a little clarification. If you are talking about
advertising, you are right; not allowed. If you are telling the wife to
stop for pizza at the next Domino's, that is allowed. The test is
whether the "commercial" content is used for your own money-making
purposes. If you're *spending* your own money, the FCC won't care.

--
Bill, W7TI

To go another step or another way, it also allows YOU the operator to call
in "yourself" for food, restaurant, motel, tow truck. So long as YOU the
operator are not making the "monetary" profit from the transmissions. The
above example was correct, but it implied somewhat 3rd party calls to a
profit making venture As for the example you telling some one else to buy
product x at store y, so long as you have no viable pecuniary interest in
Store "y", you can refer anyone to that store. That would be no different
than say directing a stranger in town via 2 meters where to buy the goods
they need to enjoy their stay. The way it USED to be, you couldn't even call
for a tow truck! Advertising? I can't advertise my own radio repair shop,
but someone else could mention me, to anyone asking or in general
discussion.

Lou