Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 5th 03, 05:42 AM
John Sandin

Default Newbie homebrew qrp question; nobody hears me

I am a new technician with code privileges. I built the following CW
transmitter for 40 meters:

http://cs.okanagan.bc.ca/ve7ouc/eng/...nsmitter2.html

It's a solid state 3-watter, based on an article in QST in June 1967.
I used a printed circuit board instead of wiring everything together
directly, as the QST article suggests. So, there are many wires
running from various parts mounted on the chassis to the circuit
board.

I'm getting very little output. After tuning the transmitter, per the
specs, and measuring the output using the method suggested by the
author of the web page, I figure I'm getting 1 watt or less. I am
running this into a dipole cut for 40 meters, which is 7 feet off the
ground. I'm using fundamental frequency HC6/U crystals for 7110 and
7125 kHz. I've been trying for 2 weeks, at all hours of the day and
night, and have had no indication that anyone hears me. I've called
CQ, and I've attempted to answer CQ's. Nothing, after about 100
tries.

I know it's impossible for any of you to know exactly what's wrong,
but I'd like to see what opinions I can glean here.

Is there any reason why I should use FT-243 crystals, as specified in
the article and on the website? I used HC6/U crystals because they
were easy to get.

One of the transistors (Q2) is supposed to be heat sinked. I have put
a large homemeade heat sink on this, using plenty of heat sink grease,
and it gets so hot I can barely touch it.

Also, the transmitter chirps a bit at the beginning of each
transmission, but settles down after a few strokes of the key.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

-John Sandin KC0QWE

Remove the "T" to respond by e-mail

newbie question, grounding joe Antenna 5 May 9th 04 05:55 PM
Newbie TV rotator question, wiring CME Antenna 1 March 3rd 04 09:42 PM
randon wire newbie question lethal Antenna 4 February 7th 04 11:01 AM
TV antenna question , newbie cme Antenna 1 February 5th 04 04:03 PM
Newbie Question - I need something between 18" and a tower Bill Dwyer Antenna 3 November 19th 03 08:41 PM