Old October 19th 03, 01:54 PM
David Forsyth

Default Steel no good for chassis? (Which metal is best for old regen designs?)

Hi all,

I recently became interested in trying to build a small two-tube regen type
receiver for broadcast and/or shortwave reception. I designed a simple
chassis based on some vintage articles on the subject. This is the classic
'metal box with attched front faceplate' design. I was going to use
cold-rolled steel since we have this at work and spot weld the face to the
main chassis, but then I got to thinking that perhaps the steel might
interfere with the coils. I noticed also after this that every old article
that I've come across usually suggested aluminum for the chassis. They
don't make mention of the reasons for this, however. I was wondering if
ease of machinability for the amatuer working with simple hand tools, and
perhaps also weight savings, were main factors, or was it mainly for lack of
magnetic interation with the coils? We also have sheets of aluminum, brass,
and stainless that I can use but I'm not sure if they can be resistance
welded, so I would have to bolt the face onto the main chassis box. Anyone
have any further ideas or insights?

thanks in advance,

Dave