Old October 23rd 03, 07:32 PM
KA9CAR

I get lots of compliments on my audio, using a "computer" head set that uses
an electret mic. You can spend up to $15 at R.S. and get a nice one. At
the local big box electronics store, I saw sets with leather like ear pads,
or foam ear pads. I borowed a Labtec from a friend and tried it out and was
happy with that as well.

I find it much easier than using a desk mic. Since your mouth is always the
same distance from the microphone you can have better audio and not have to
play with the Mic Gain on your radio very often.

You can see the one that I use on QRZ or at
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/Ham_radio/ka9car.jpg

One of the Ham Radio Magazines ran an article in the last couple of years,
showing how to use plastic pipe fittings to mount the element and make a
desk stand.

I have used my "desk mount" Sound Blaster microphone, You can get them at
ham fests or flea markets for $3.00 or buy a replacement at your local big
box electronix store for about $10.00

Here is a schematic of how I added the proper voltage to my radio.

http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/KACHINA/E...t_mic_bias.jpg

Those PIN NUMBERS apply ONLY to a Kachina 505DSP.

I used the same head set in My Alinco (DX-77T), There was already a power
supply on the board all I had to do was install a jumper to liven up the
mic. Most ICOM radios are powered.

Good luck.

JD

Old October 24th 03, 03:02 PM
Michael Black

"Roln" ) writes:
I've found lots of pictures of homebrew mics on the web, but I need info and
pictures on HOW to build one. Detailed instructions is what I need.

Roln

The cartridge is the microphone. The casing is really just there to protect
the cartridge, make it easier to hold, and have a place for a push to talk
switch.

While the case could affect the operation of the cartridge, I'm not sure
this is really that relevant in a microphone intended for speech. More
important, I doubt most of those "build your own microphone" articles
concern themselves with this. Someone finds a neat box or case they
can put the cartridge in, or maybe they look for something that will
work. So realistically, there isn't much to those articles, beyond
maybe giving someone some ideas for how they could do the same thing,
but differently.

Find a case or box that you find comfortable in your hand. Find a suitable
switch. Buy an electret cartridge, or pull one out of a tape recorder,
cellphone, cheap telephone, or cordless phone (and probably other consumer
electronic goods). Drill a hole for the sound, and mount the cartridge
behind it. Use some of that silicone stuff, the proper name escapes me
at the moment, to hold the microphone in place. Drill a hole for the
switch, and if it doesn't mount on the case, you'll have to figure out
a means of mounting it behind the case. (If I was buying cheap, I think I
might try one of those pushbutton switches used in VCRs and other consumer
equipment, though I don't know their lifespan, and they might not be
the best choice in terms of mounting.). Wire it all up, someone else
detailed this in the thread. Try it out. If it doesn't sound right,
then maybe fiddle with where the mic is mounted on the case. Or find
another case. If it isn't comfortable in the long run, maybe the
switch isn't really suitable for holding down for long periods, then
try again. Unless you are spending big money on the case, the parts
are pretty disposable because they are cheap.

Michael VE2BVW

"KLØS" wrote:
Check out the upcoming December issue of QST....I believe there will be an
article describing the construction of a homebrew mic by Sam Kennedy

KT4QW.

Dino KL0S/4